Ebay refund question.

Robbi

Banned
Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Morning Gents,

here's a question just for my own peace of mind.

I recently had to resort to the resolution centre on Ebay because an item never turned up.

Ebay were very very quick with the full refund including postage costs, and I mean within 1 minute of logging the dispute.

Now, my question is, how do they get their money back from the seller ? do they just take it from their paypal account ? what happens if there is no money in the PP account ?

I can't see Ebay being out of pocket so I'm interested how it works.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
They remove it from the sellers Paypal account and if there's insufficient in that then they'll remove it from the debit or credit card linked to that account.

If that bounces then they go after the seller in other ways like suspending their account, debt collectors etc

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
that sounded a bit worrying Steve should it ever happen to any of us by mistake, so i checked. yes they can use the existing sellers PayPal a/c funds, if there are insufficient funds they can freeze the account, but no one is allowed to dip into your private bank account without prior agreement. i hope! :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
that sounded a bit worrying Steve should it ever happen to any of us by mistake, so i checked. yes they can use the existing sellers PayPal a/c funds, if there are insufficient funds they can freeze the account, but no one is allowed to dip into your private bank account without prior agreement. i hope! :)

Very true Steve, but I think you've probably given paypal prior authority to "dip into your private bank account" already. I always assume with things like paypal that as soon as I press "I agree to the terms and conditions" then I no longer have and right or authority over anything, ever, in this life or the next, especially not my own money :)

nurvware

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
Wirral
I'm a heavy eBay user, buyer and seller. If a dispute is raised, eBay / PayPal take the amount in dispute and freeze it until the dispute is resolved. eBay will decide who gets the money based on evidence provided. If a sellers paypal account has insufficient funds to cover the amount, the account goes overdrawn into a negative balance and is frozen from sending payments, even if you had plenty of money in your bank account. The annoying thing is, at least the last time it happened to me last year, you cannot add funds from your bank to make up the balance. If you are selling other items and those funds hit your PayPal account, PayPal take the outstanding amount and leave you the rest if the received amount was greater than the debt. If no one pays into to your PayPal account, after a period of time PayPal will phone you and you can then make a payment by card. If you don't pay it goes to debt collectors and your account risks being closed. In the past it was easy to have multiple eBay seller and PayPal accounts but not so now. If you use eBay a lot to buy and sell and rely on it to make good money sometimes, you need to work hard to please the eBay gods otherwise you will be cast out. Due to eBay's world dominance, if your out you've last pretty much the only online place to sell stuff.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
so there you have it Robbi, there is a procedure that protects both buyer and seller, you original question is still unanswered as the grievance would normally take much longer than a minute to resolve! glad you somehow got a quick result. :)

nurvware

Tenderfoot
Aug 13, 2013
Wirral
You get the full amount you paid back. When you open a dispute, both parties have to reached an agreement within 28 days or eBay decide who wins. When the dispute was opened, the seller got an email with the dispute claim. It sounds like the seller may have accepted you did not receive the item and agreed to the refund, eBay would then release the funds to the buyers account.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE