Ebay insisting on payment details before bidding

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Just a heads up really. I buy the odd second hand item on ebay and try not to over bid so often don't win an auction. Today I went to bid and ebay insisted on my payment details before I could bid. This seemed strange as I never save my payment details with them, always pay promptly and never had a problem.

A quick search shows this is something a seller can insist on and it appears ebay may be defaulting this option for sellers and sellers being unaware of this.

I didn't bid in the end and the item sold for cheaper than I would expect, possibly other bidders were also put off. Worth noting if you've selling and want the top price.

Reactions: William_Montgomery

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
For a while now, the moment you win some items it pays for the item. Same if you accept a seller's offer for a fixed price listing. I assume it's to cut down on the number of people who bid and win but then don't pay.

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
I too have bought quite a lot of second hand stuff from the Bay but have never been asked to disclose my banking details before bidding but since I always pay by PayPal, eBay already know more than enough as they own PP. I'm guessing their algorithms are joining all the dots.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
That's going to be interesting for those folks like myself that use a sniping tool for submitting bids

I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem if you have a payment method set up, c/card paypal etc. I don't as I don't like companies holding my details unnecessarily.

The message comes up when you try and bid, before you actually place a bid. So you can see if anyone has the 'must pay immediately' setting on an auction before you bid or snipe etc. I've tried several other items and none have the setting so still seems rare on what I bid on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE