eBay help - I've been asked to end auction early

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've got some bits listed on eBay (not Bushcraft related, really - my username there is spandit so you can see what I'm selling). For one of the items, I've been contacted and asked to end the auction early (i.e. today). I rejected his initial offer and he's come back saying "how much would you accept" (value is about £20 - not huge) but I'm naturally suspicious. He's got a good eBay record, both buying and selling (about 750 transactions). I've currently got no bids and start price is £0.99 with 7 watchers with 5 days to go.

What do you think?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
If it was a good offer, i'd personally take it.

I've done it myself asking a seller if they would accept an offer and end their auction.

Just my opinion.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've done it a few times, both selling and buying. As long as you get the cash up front and it's cleared in your account there won't be a problem.

You won't be able to receive feedback though

I did it a Christmas on a leather jacket the wife wanted, the girl selling agreed, she gave me a price which I paid with Paypal and she then closed the listing.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
If he has a 100% feedback rating he's probably ok and if you have no bids you can end with no problems from admin.
Just name the price you would like ; if he wants it that much he can put his money where his mouth is.
On the other hand it is early days so you may want to leave it to run to term and just tell him to bid what he thinks its worth.
I only get suspicious if they want to come to my house to collect & give me cash.
Cheers , Simon

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
...if you end it early and trade off ebay, you avoid fees but you also lose a bit of your 'protection'. If you're not happy with that, the other option is it to edit the listing to include a 'buy it now' option. You suffer fleabays fees, but are then within their protection.

Whichever method you choose, do not post to anything other than the registered paypal address.

I would end early for that kind of money. As a word of warning though I sold some vintage engineering equipment a while ago and was offered £75 to pull it from ebay and end early. I declined and it sold for over £1k through bids.
Add a buy it now if there are no bids and you want to go through Ebay. I have had people in the past not bother going through with the sale when not through Ebay after I have finished the item early. I tend to look at feedback and time registered on Ebay.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
Just make sure he pays you before you remove the listing!! even if you get a bid you can still remove a listing upto 24hrs before the auction end :)

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
if you're worried on the protection side you can create a buy-it-now for him, yes you pay fees but you won't have any worries and it's all 'legal' on the ebay side

most bidding happens in the last few seconds, check the listing to see if you have lots of watchers, if yes I'd probably leave it up, if no then take the offer

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE