eating spoon

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Finished up this little eating spoon tonight. It's mesquite.

1-P1310143.JPG

1-P1310149.JPG

1-P1310157.JPG

1-P1310155.JPG

Reactions: Fjellstorm

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Like the others have said spoon and tools are lovely. I should really try more spoonage, I might get something that doesn't look like it's been through a woodchipper if I keep at it. Don't think I'll get as good as yourself though.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Pic #1 displays a great set of required tools.
I like the bent shank and the outline of the handle. Very nice design features.
How fast can you carve one of those?
Please: your thoughts on finish.

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
I haven't timed myself, but I'll try to do that. I'm thinking a couple of hours for a small one like this. Seasoned wood adds time. Grain issues will add more time.

This was just done with blades. No sandpaper, though I have nothing against it and sometimes use it. I put some oil on it (walnut, food grade linseed, coconut...) and call it done. It's going to get used and washed and dried out, so the initial oil is really just cosmetic. My family have been using these spoons for awhile. They get no special care at all, and have been holding up superbly. They do get a dark patina and lose a lot of the initial "glamour" of the grain appearance, but take on a "used beauty." :)

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Factory made and store-bought wooden spoons always appear to have been sanded.
Like you, I never sanded any of the spoons or forks that I carved = needed them to show carving marks.

From blanks to cooling out of the oven with a baked olive oil finish, I carved spoons a dozen at a time.
Possibly 90 minutes each in really good birch. The baked in finish cannot be washed off.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The baking process uses Charles' Law of basic physics of gasses. Hot gasses expand, cooling gasses contract.
1. Preheat your kitchen oven to 325F, certainly no more than 350F (we are not baking potato crisps.)
2. Slather your spoon(s) with the food-grade oil of your choice.
3. On a cake rack, over a sheet pan, into the oven for 3'30" by the clock.
4. Out, let it cool on the rack. . . . you will see all sorts of little bubbles foaming in the hot oil.

Here's what happened:
As the wood heats up, wood air near the wood surface heats and expands.
Out of the oven, the remaining wood air cools and contracts and sucks the oil down into the wood.
Of course, you have to reheat my spoons to at least 325F to get the oil & wood air to move.

I believe much further into the wood than any room temperature treatment.
Instead when stirring hot soup, that spoon wood air heats and expands.
Out of the soup, the wood air cools and contracts and sucks the wetted soup surface down into the wood.
Not in my kitchen. Goes to explain why many really old wooden spoons are blackened (like the bottom of a compost bin.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE