Early 1990's Ray Mears documentary

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Reading through RM's new book this weekend and I've come across a reference to his first TV appearance - apparently TVS filmed him for a documentary prior to his becoming involved in 'Tracks'.

Has anyone here ever seen this programme? It's news to me and I'd be interested to hear from any who have seen it. Even more interested if anyone has a copy of it!

Cheers

Bob:)

Bob

Forager
Sep 11, 2003
Dorset
Hi all

Thanks for your replies.

RM did Tracks between 1994 and 1997, and Wild Tracks and Country Tracks are shortened repeats done thereafter. His original segments were approx 10 minutes long, with the repeats coming in at around half that time. Some of the 10 minute Country Tracks vids on Youtube are in fact two segments; RM first and then 'AN Other' tagged on behind.

What I'm interested in came before Tracks - RM reckons it was his first ever TV appearance. According to his book it was a Television South (TVS) documentary.

Now, TVS did run a calendar news programme called 'Coast to Coast'. Joejoe - was this by any chance the programme you saw him on? I assumed by documentary that it was a long (30 / 60 minute) programme with RM as the subject but perhaps it was only a segment in this daily programme. I'd love to know - and to see it!

While I'm here I'll put in my biannual request to new Forum members! If anyone has any copies of the first two ever Tracks episodes ('Food, Funghi (sic) and Fire', and 'Food, Funghi (sic) and Fire - on the beach'), or the Tracks episode where RM is canoeing in an estuary and makes a canoe shelter, and pothanger (I can't remember the title but it isn't Wye-5-O where he is canoeing the River Wye) I would be nothing less than estatic to see them! I may even have others that you may not have seen!:rolleyes:

Cheers all

Bob:)

joejoe

On a new journey
Jan 18, 2007
washington
that could be the one bob. ir i remember right he was showing how to get through a forrest by using a long branch as a straight line ,

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I've just watched a couple of episodes of Tracks/Wild Tracks. Even at a much younger age, he has a wonderfully relaxed way of presenting. Plus he is a natural at doing a piece to camera.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE