Dykehead (Angus) circuit with my daughter, and MyTrails App mini review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I find I have a terrible tendency to underestimate my children. I'm trying to slowly work up to longer walks with my kids with the aim of being able to do some reasonably serious hiking with them at some point.

Today I took my 8 year old daughter on a 3.7km walk around Dykehead, Cortachy and back and forth across the South Esk river. I was concerned that it might be a bit much for girl who hasn't done a huge amount of walking. But to my surprise by the end of it, she seemed less out of breath than I did! :lmao: I guess she is a pretty fit wee girl.

Screenshot_2013-06-23-18-47-42 by Abrasive Scotsman, on Flickr

IMAG0126 by Abrasive Scotsman, on Flickr

My wee girl is hiding in the second photo, Where's Wally style.

Oh and can I take a moment to sing the praises of the Android App "My Trails". The screenshot above comes from it. I didn't have a map for this particular walk, so I wound up using my phone. Obviously I wouldn't consider going solely electronic for an actual hike, but for low level walks where you stick to paths I didn't consider it too risky. I purchased a 1 year subscription to 50 and 25k OS maps for £12, and in case there wasn't reception in the area I also downloaded the appropriate map tiles for £1.50. That allows me to download 1000 square km for one month. Today's walk only needed about 30sq/km I think, so I'll have plenty of subscription left for next weeks walk as well.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE