Dying Woollen Blankets

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Hi all, I recently bought a lovely big woollen blanket from a charity shop which is perfect EXCEPT I really don't like the colour (cream) and so after looking fruitlessly on Google, I thought I'd ask if anyone here has any experience they want to share. I'd like to dye it grey or green.

Thanks Magentus

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I`ve not dyed anything as big as a entire blanket, but I`ve dyed some trousers (thorsberg copy) made from a blanket.
I used Herdins dye for wool bought in a paint shop.
I used a big kettle not the washing machine and the trousers got a little uneven because the kettle was still too small. They are good enough for me though.
I just followed the user description from the dye packet.

Tor

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Tor's right about making sure that whatever you use to dye the wool in is big enough, if you want it to be even.
I use big black plastic dustbins.

The other thing that's important is to wash the blanket first and make sure there's neither grease or fabric conditioner left in it, beforehand.

Dylon do a dye for wool, read the packet and make sure it actually says "For Wool". If it doesn't, it won't.
Basically wool needs an acid dye whereas cotton and many artificial fibres don't. However, those are the most popular materials to dye so most dyes are made for them.

I'm sure there'll be other folks along who've done the blanket dye recently with good advice :D

cheers,
Toddy

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Thanks you two - -just so happens I cleaned out a big black dustbin today - I grew my potatos in it! I'll get onto it this week I think and I'll post my results.

Magentus

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Try making a dye from nettles...If memory serves right all the Khaki green army stuff in WWII was dyed with nettles...I believe onion skins can be used too but I have no experience of this

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Cheers - Do you have to boil the blanket in the nettles? It sounds like something I'd like to try; very natural and a useful skill to learn.

Magentus

troy ap De skog

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2005
In a Shack
for dark geens and purples you can use varius heathers and nettals
for brown you elm or oak
and redish colour use beetroot
some of the veg dye may require add of other substences to become perinent

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Few natural dyes need no mordant.
The easiest ones to aquire and use safely are iron and alum, with copper coming a good third choice.

Too much Iron will rot the wool while copper can be very toxic.
Alum is excellent if you want to achieve bright colours.

Have a look here at the first few images of natural dyes on hoops. These colours are all on wool,
http://www.seamstimeless.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

Nettles are very good, but to dye a blanket you will need a heck of a lot of them, and you will have to boil the dyestuff to get the full colour.
The colours to the top right of the first image are nettle dyed.

Happy to provide more information if you do decide to do it this way. I'm not trying to put you off, but for a blanket, I must admit that even I'd be tempted by the box of dylon wool dye :)
If you don't want to use Dylon look for Acid dyes, fibrecrafts, kemtech and the like all sell that for home dyeing.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE