Dying Leather

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Ok you might laugh and this is probably a very basic questions, but when you're working with leather, do you make the product and then dye it or do you add the dye to the sections and then make it? Just wondering as I'm toying with the idea of making a pouch and just wanted to check which was the best way of doing it?

Cheers

Matt

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
First make the product, than dye it ;)

If you dye it first and you scratch it :yikes: whilst making the product, you'll have to dye it a second time :( - making it darker, or giving it a deeper colour you weren't after.

A good example is to have a look at the posts Rapidboy post in the Makersforum: he first makes the sheaths, than offers them for sale, and the buyer can decide what colour he / she wants.

Willowbark

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2005
Stroud, Gloucestershire
Making, then dying can work well, but for more complex shapes I find I get more even colour if I dye first. That way, some bits don't get too much, whilst your trying to squidge dye into odd corners.

redcollective

Settler
Dec 31, 2004
West Yorkshire
Yeh Mike Tea's sebenza sheaths are the Dogs proverbials and I seem to remember him describing dying them first. One advantage I can see from his work is he gets that nice two tone contrast between the dyed colour and his heavily sanded and finished edges.

I however would make a mess of it so dye last (and unevenly!). Does anyone dip? instead of painting it on?

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Mike soaks his leather in water, then sloshes the dye over the surface. The results speak for themselves :)

I dip dye some things; it is a very thirsty way to dye things (the leather absorbs loads), you need a sizable amount of dye to get the depth in the bath and there was another issue but I've gone blank on what it was :rolleyes: Probably that the extra solvent removes even more oils from the leather, so I feed it once it is dry to put som esuppleness back in.

Airbrushing gives a nice even coat - got to be a bit careful as the solvent likes to evaporate en route to the leather; I usually thin the dye down a bit for that. You can get some nice transitions between colours like that - usual caveats on airborne solvents!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE