Dyeing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Got hold of a flak vest.

pretty much like this one

http://tinyurl.com/ymnc2k

Now you will be asking what do I need with a flak vest? Well, I do security, which may mean doing doors, and though I dont really expect to get stabbed, the scars on my fellow bounders are sobering.

But this one as you can see is DPM

I need black.

I have checked it, and it seems easy enough to dismantle.

What I want to know is what type of cloth are these things made from? (it looks like heavy canvas but Im not sure)

would it be easy to dye it black?

and if not, where would I find the cloth to machine up another?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Tengu said:
What I want to know is what type of cloth are these things made from? (it looks like heavy canvas but Im not sure)

would it be easy to dye it black?

and if not, where would I find the cloth to machine up another?

My experience is that only 100% cotton can be (home- )dyed. That's why dyed stuff usually has different colored stitching. Don't think that the flak-vest fabric is cotton, might be, but don't see any reason.

If your lazy you could just spray paint the vest, since it's going to be concealed anyway.

Otherwise point north (or profabrics as there known today) has a lot of technical fabrics (bought ventile from them years ago).

(I used to wear a civilian class IIIA (rps-class C) when I worked the door, the military versions are always too bulky for my suits)

Good luck anyway

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
You could try using 'stock marker'. That's the stuff that farmers use to mark their stock. It comes in spray cans and won't harm the fabric like some paints will. It may not obliterate the DPM though, just darken it right down.

Eric

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Maybe speak to Phil562 if he's about as he dyed his dpm smock black and it came out really well.

I have to agree with Big Swede though about these things being a bit bulky to try to conceal. Might be ok under a heavy winter overcoat but you'll not be fooling anyone with just a blouse on lol

Why not look more at one of the police type vests, they are much lighter and if you get the right one will be just as stab resistant to these and with better sidearm resistance. The military ones are ment to be used with ceramic incerts to stop the higher powered assault weapons that luckily are very rare to come across on the streets of the UK.

I used to do quite a lot of security dog handling and have worked the door at such places as the Brixton Accademy, I ALWAYS wore a vest and usually a dark blue overt one rather than a white covert. It's different for the dog handlers as you're in uniform and to be fair most of the bouncers wore the covert ones under their shirts.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I forgot to say, it appears to be the same material as the smocks....but im not sure what they are made from. Washing instructions are as for cotton, so they may be canvas...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You won't ever get rid of the *shading* effect of the camo pattern but if the vest cover is cotton then a black dye, ***intended for cotton***, (they aren't all) will at least give it an entirely black look. The threads, tapes, and other fastenings might not take the dye as thoroughly, if at all.
Your best bet, if it has to be 'black' would probably be to cover it. Velvet looks good ;) but polycotton ought to do, and this soon after Hallowe'en most fabric shops seem to have remnants.

atb,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE