Dyeing Desert PLCE Pouches

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
There are alot of brand new army desert osprey molle pouches and vests on ebay at the moment pretty cheap.

I was wondering about the phesability of dying them into a more subdued colour rather than having the loud desert colour. Adds to the cool factor being more interesting than normal webbing and I prefer the fasteners to the older style plce fasteners on the 90 pattern and 95 pattern pouches.

Anyone tryed it or know if it is do able?

thereaper101

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2009
South Wales
I have dyed a desert camo smock with quite good success if you like very dark dpm pattern. don't forget that the buckles and straps will remain desert colour.

I like how it looks more than desert pattern.

Hi Bodge,

Was this a windproof you dyed? did the stitching dye also?

Thanks

Nick

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Find out what they're made from and then hand dye them with the appropriate Dylon.
If it's cotton, make very sure you have them sodden wet before you try dyeing, and remember that if it doesn't say on the pack that it will dye that fabric, then it's almost guaranteed that it won't.

As already advised in an earlier post, the trimmings won't dye the same way as the fabric.

Best of luck with it :) Take photos ?

cheers,
Toddy

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
yep i will have a go and get some pics of my final effort, whatever the end result!!
i think i will do one or two pouches first then see where i go from there.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I would say you would have difficulty dyeing plce/molle pouches,they are a weather proof nylon,i cant see many dye being able to take to them,you would probably be better with some form of spray paint, i did this with a old lowe alpine 35l that was purple and green i sprayed it with ocra/and brown shades of spray paint from a modeling shop and it took well just makes the fabric a little stiffer.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
i'd go with the spray option or even using humbrol model paints all in the same shade! done camo this way, weather proof and very long lasting! personally, i think you're on a fast track to wrecking the colour of the pouches, and then not wanting to use them. i dyed some standard issue non ripstop desert trousers, i thought i'd go with brown as i did my ww2 sas snow smock with this and it looked great, well, when i took the trousers out, all the zips had stayed dessie coloured, the buttons had gone purple, and so had the cammo pattern, apart from all the lines of polycotton in the weave, which were just a pale purple colour! they didn't look toooo bad initially, but after a couple of washes they are relegated to doing diy in. however! A top tip for your pouches did come out of this! i got roof paint on the trousers, which has stayed black/grey, and is weather proof! (stop laughing!) and has not washed off! so go with the ronseal i say!
let us know how you got on.

Rob

thereaper101

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2009
South Wales
I've used a dye called Rit Dye, it's pretty incredible stuff, I used it to dye the rubber on a G-shock. It's used as a fabric dye, but will dye most materials.

Got mine from the bay

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you get the right dye it'll dye the fabric, but usually at best it kind of stains the inner waterproof layers. Can't guarantee the colour matching though, especially is the fabric has been heat sealed at all.

cheers,
Toddy

fabrics

Apr 5, 2013
UK
www.fabricuk.com
One thing to remember if you try and dye a polyester fabric with any of the Dylon or any other brand of dye products it will not work 100%, if you do manage to dye it then the fabric is not 100% polyester and has some cotton or other natural fibre content, this is normally what has taken the dye.

The problem is that polyester only takes the full effect of the dye at a very high temperature, in most standard domestic situations you can only reach a water temperature of about 100 degrees centigrade, polyester fibres need to be dyed at an absolute minimum temperature of 130 degrees centigrade, to achieve a maximum dye effect on polyester the dye solution needs to be around 200 deg c, this is when the polyester fibres are open and the will take the dye.

You may have noticed if you dye a white cotton garment to black and the stitching does not take the colour and stays white this is because the sewing thread that was used on the garment is 100% polyester.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE