Dyeing a PolyCotton Tent.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Im glad to report that this is actually possible

Got this medina tent off ebay on the cheap.

$(KGrHqJ,!o4FDOHHfh6qBQ8Bp7Q6(w~~60_12.JPG

I changed the 4 elastic bands which connect the inner to the outer ridge, and reapplied two small patches provided to the groundsheet with seam sealant.

The inner tent is a Tan colour, with a sturdy bathtub floor. Gave it a good scrub. Put it through the washing machine. Zips all work fine.

The various cords and loops which connect the inner to the outer are very reliable oldschool stable.

I dyed it with 3 packs of I-dye Poly and 1 pack of woodland brown cotton dye + 500g salt.
[To dye the polyester and the cotton]

IMG_20130125_142914_488.jpg

Got the honey stove set up under an old metal dustbin. [Scrubbed inside first]

2.jpg

Then poured in some hot tap water. It wasnt quite simmering, but it was kept very hot. Close to simmering. Moved it about a couple of times, wearing a rubber glove.

3.jpg

Lifted out the steaming dustbin after about 40 minutes. Put in just enough water so that the material is covered.

All the polyester thread and tags were dyed as well as the cotton. It looks quite dark here, as its steaming soaking wet.

4.jpg

After taking it out, I put it straight in the machinne, on a 14 minute rinse and spin cycle. Then washed it on a normal 40 degree cycle through the machine.

By the time it dried, it was a bit lighter than pictured here. A very nice autumnal shade of woodland brown.

I'll post a photo of it when its outside and erected. Cant wait to get under it.

Nothing like sleeping under canvas.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thanks. I washed it with a bit of nikwax techwash, and will be reproofing it with a solution of nikwax cottonproof, painted on with a wallpaper brush, as soon as its fine weather.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I wanted to share the outcome of this with the forum. In case any of you fancy trying it.

Just put this up and proofed it in the garden, and its come out a bit jackson pollack,:rolleyes: some splodges here and there, but I like it. :) Better than the faded orange I think.

Its a sort of earthy terracotta brown now..:lmao: Looks a bit re-enactmentish, doesnt it? Like a legionary could suddenly stick his head out?

its blowing a hooly here, and it is [surprisingly] stable and quiet inside the tent. Feels bombproof and comfy.

Im gonna have to get out in the canoe, [health and work willing], and get up to a loch with it.

Whether you think its a success or a disaster, its not bad for £40!

IMG_20130131_122358_881.jpg

IMG_20130131_123113_003.jpg

IMG_20130131_122613_255.jpg

I should mention the dustbin it was dyed in, was only ever used for collecting rainwater, behind the shed. So no nasty niffs!

Last edited:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
When you get round to water proofing your tent try doing it this way ,,get a large bin bag put the tent inside and soak the tent in your nikwax cottonproof ,but to get it to soak right into the fabric get a hover and suck all the air out of the bin bag then tie the bag shut and leave for a day or so this really works well,, just take it out and leave to dry over the washing line

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
When you get round to water proofing your tent try doing it this way ,,get a large bin bag put the tent inside and soak the tent in your nikwax cottonproof ,but to get it to soak right into the fabric get a hover and suck all the air out of the bin bag then tie the bag shut and leave for a day or so this really works well,, just take it out and leave to dry over the washing line

Thats a good tip Jason, cheers. I'd have done it that away if you'd mentioned it earlier.......:)
Ive brushed a nikwax cotton proof solution on 1/5 with a wallpaper brush, and am now gonna leave it outside, see if it leaks.

Doesn't look bad. Did you use idye?

I did chis, yes. But I also attempted to use pebble beige in the washing machine first. Which didnt wotk.
So I then used the brown idye and cotton dye mixed together in the metal bin. I think it would have come out a much darker brown if I hadnt used the pebble beige stuff first. But Im happy with it, as is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE