Dyeing a dessert DMP smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Hi all.
I have a British army dessert Smoke.
I would like to dye it a darker colour. What would be the best dye to use and the best way to do it. I have never dyed anything before. I would like a dark brown colour. Would this look ok ? Dose anyone have any photos of one that they have dyed ?

garethw

Settler
From what I've seen on previous posts, dyed camo always looks a mess... you'll never get an even colour and it really looks wierd and generally ruins a perfectly good jacket.
I'd say either live with the current pattern or buy a darker one.
regards
Gareth

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
The one on the left is a 100% cotton early 90's DDPM smock and the one on the right is a more recent polycotton DDPM smock. Both were dyed seperatly with a pack of dylon washing machine brown and salt. The polycotton smock had an extra go with idye poly brown but all that did was dye the buttons, velcro and zip pulls a purpley colour. This smock has had the buttons, Velcro (because I'm not fussed to redo the Velcro yet) and zip pulls coloured black with a permanent marker pen.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20150625_153744.jpg
    20150625_153744.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 85

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Thanks for the reply badger.
Dose not look too bad. But think I will keep it as it is.
Always worth having a go at these things to see how stuff turns out

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Try RIT-dye instead. It dyes poly as well as cotton. A mixed fabric is tugher because of the different chemicals used in the dye bath and to set the bath. But it's better than dylon. Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE