DWC XLong Woody on steroids ........... Sorry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Another one of the ideas in my head i have to do just to get it out of the way

on my last batch of blades I super sized a few existing models to give more range and choice :rolleyes:

this one is actually a DJP blade which has been extended by 28mm and is in 6mm 52100 bearing steel so its a bit of a big blade in all ways ( definalty longer than the width of your palm)

Grind is my usual Flandi grind with a 25 deg mini scandi secondary bevel
and the tip Ive reshaped from the snub nose of the DJP to a more pointed Woodlore shape

to add toughness to a 59Rc Blade it has had a combined Bainite a/Martinsite Heat treat some thing i will be looking at to see if it does any good for knives

the scales are a bit of G10 in multi Cam left over from the XL Nessy boot camp version and bolted on using 2 x 1/4" pins and 2 3/16" pins with blacked stainless Torx bolts

and to continue the theme Ive mounted it in a Spec Ops Combat master 6" Jump sheath in Multi cam.

dwcxlmulticam700.jpg

dwcxlmulticamspecops700.jpg

The insert with the Spec Ops sheath wasnt really suitable for this blade and is only a bit of squashed plastic pipe
so ive made a kydex Cover for it
which can be used on lit own with a Tek or Mollie lock or mount the ESEE plate ( top) etc

dwcxlspecopsb600.jpg

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I really like your distinctive style slightly tacticle, with reference to bainite i find it performs really well.

Maybe edge retention not quite as good but very tough

Well moved the design on to a new Concept model dedicated for UK military General and Survival use

main actual difference is a much longer Handle
286mm long over all but only 280gms so not far off a woodlore/std bushy in weight

to a few features added ( its a concept so chuck em all in ;))

So hammer Butt with double lanyard slots sized for paracord
next hole down before the scale bolt is for a Hex Bit drive cut in the tang (bit of an obsession for me adding these but they don't get in the way and actually take weight out)
Long Scales which are textured for grip and the profile changed at the front to be less likely to slip thro the hand as this has no popper guard (this isn't a main fighting knife design but it does have to have some ability for that if used by military )

Triangle cut out is my logo shape but also fits a hex bit and would be the fwd lashing point to mount on a stick bayonett style with the stick along the spine/tang
(will test to see if it weakens the blade to much this is what concept prototypes are for )

long blade with Flandi grind for a stong cross section to a 30 deg mini scandi for detail and control (could be convexed to )

has a 3/4 length swedge and the rest of the spine is rounded (choil area is sharp for Ferro )

left is Cammo Micarta right is G10 Coyote brown

dwmbc600h.jpg

dwmba600.jpg

the blades where then stripped out and re polished to send off for DLC coating

this is to seal and protect the 52100 which is a carbon steel so will rust especially under the handle

Im still testing to see if the coating lives up to the sales info properties but it is expensive and shiny so a ceramic cerakote blade will probably be a sensible compromise

here they are I got 3 blades coated

and have made up the Sheath for the CB one in Carbon fiber textured Coyote brown Holstex with my Drop leg Multi mount bracket

dwmbd700.jpg

dwmbe700.jpg

now off to a couple of SERE instructors for testing in the real world

I really like your distinctive style slightly tacticle, with reference to bainite i find it performs really well.

Maybe edge retention not quite as good but very tough

this is why its a mixed HT only puts in some bainite formation then quench the rest for martensite adds about 10% strength over plain martensite and doesn't need cooking for 5hrs for full bainite transformation
this and Pulling the temper on the spine is to give one tough knife over a Stainless one and the DLC to bring back teh advantages of stainless you want ie corrosion resitance

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE