dutch ovens

drewdunnrespect

On a new journey
Aug 29, 2007
teesside
www.drewdunnrespect.com
Hiya people

At the moot MADDAVE taught me how to clean my dutch oven
After use and I wrote it down but he also showed me how deal with a dutch oven if it goes rancid and I didn't right this down and have now forgotten it so help
Also cheers Dave

Drew

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Assuming a Dutch oven is cast iron, if it goes bad then just put it on a hot fire and leave it to burn all the crap out (or light a fire in it). Once cooled, brush clean and reseason

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I dont seem to have much luck with the seasoning bit... Using rapeseed oil last attempt and although it gets a good solid oil layer on the inside, it dosen't seem to last very long?
Tried to stay away from acidic foor for the first few boils, give it a good burn over a fire, follow online guides ect.

One method I've not tried is how we used to season pans catering wise. Fill with oil, heat until smoking gently, remove and cool. I'll get there in the end!

al.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I season my cast iron pans by wiping them with a piece of kitchen roll soaked in vegetable oil and then heating them with the lid on for a few minutes (to avoid excess smoke in the kitchen!)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I think I used a round sanding disc on a powerdrill, to get the bottom nice and smooth. Then rub in some lard, wack it in the oven, or in a fire, until its smoking. A few times. And its seasoned. Never use washing up liquid to clean it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE