Dutch Oven Help please

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Been looking on a few threads on this site and the songs of the paddle one and I quite fancy one of these.

Just wondering if anyone can give me a few tips or recomend a good one.

What size do i need and should i get one with our without the legs on the bottom, i want to use it in the house on the gas stove in the oven and on top of my log burning stoves as well as when out and about in the outdoors

Can anyone help me?

May 12, 2007
Derby, UK
www.berax.co.uk
Been looking on a few threads on this site and the songs of the paddle one and I quite fancy one of these.

Just wondering if anyone can give me a few tips or recomend a good one.

What size do i need and should i get one with our without the legs on the bottom, i want to use it in the house on the gas stove in the oven and on top of my log burning stoves as well as when out and about in the outdoors

Can anyone help me?

Got mine off the bay Ronniesunshines,use ours in the house as well.

Bernie

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You should be able to find this info on here already but anyway.

Ronnie Sunshine on Ebay or Trek Direct to buy from off the top of my head.

With legs/without legs, it's up to you. Ours has legs, but 99% of the time it's hanging off a tripod and the legs are redundant. If you want to use it on your hob and oven I'd say legs would get in the way and be a nuisance. What is more important however, is to buy a pot with a lipped lid so that you can heap coals on the lid and cook from top and bottom.

I think ours is 6L or so. That's a good size for 4-6 people IMO.

HTH.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Hey no worries. Didn't mean to sound so grumpy. Sorry. I think if they're the same, the Trek Direct one may be cheaper as I think postage is included.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I got all of mine from John at Unbeatern Tracks.

I would go for the "Bake Pots" with no legs.

Get the lidlifter and if you want to use it with an open fire you could get a "Short Tripod" from him as well. You will find the flat bottomed pots will be far better on your cooker and stove.

As far as size goes that depends on what you want to cook in it. I have the 12" and 14" bake pots and use the smaller more often than the larger. The 12" is pleany big enough for stew for five people, whle the 14" is used to do a roast for five.

If you have any questions please feel free to ask. :)

got mine at he Wilderness gathering £30 for a size 12 think it was the unbeaten tracks guys tho this is a lot cheaper than their website prices and cheaper than Ronnie Sunshines to
only grip is i like the sise but would prefer more depth to fit a whole chicken in and less width to maintain the size we did manage 2 of the poussens (baby chickens ) for a Roast with veg on the saturday night and they wher fantastic with caramalised veg at the bottom and crispy skin at the top

these dont have the big lip for embers but youcan still pile em on
also does a fantastic bacon butty as its got the heat to burn off the Water in cheap bacon :rolleyes:

i would like a Deep size 10 tho

ATB

Duncan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE