Durability of "hiking trainers", merrell chameleon blast 3 in particular?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I think Merrel are generally of good quality but don't expect them to last for a lifetime. I myself have had a variety of Merrel trail sandals, one pair rotted away after a year, another are good for some trekking yet, you never can tell.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Karrimore are guaranteed to fall apart when you least want them too. Cheap and Nasty, it is about time they were retailed via Pound Land.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If walking up Snowdon in winter I'd use boots, but as your walking up paths I don't see the point using them for the other seasons.

I have every right to compare really as I've been up and down more Welsh mountains than the majority of members here, in boots, and in hindsight and if fit enough I'd just go for shoes, ankle support is not really given in boots, thats a bit of an urban myth (apart from ski boots as mentioned in the link) but in winter a good pair of leather boots will keep your feet drier and warmer. One of the women I worked with is the head of the local ramblers association and she switched to shoes some years ago and she hikes all over Snowdonia, the Beacons and the Lake district.

Your feet so use what works for you but you have to admit that the pro evidence for using shoes is growing all the time; equipment changes, the individuals equipment needs changes, its an evolutionary process. I've some high leg leather/goretex/gambril US army boots, they are a bugger to get on with my dodgie knees so I stopped using them a couple of years back and have a pair of wellies in the car but 99% of the time use Karrimore KSB's which are perfect in the woods. I'd never advocate bare foot hiking.

(I've a pair of said boots, grade 1 condition size 10.5 for trade if anyone is interested, pm me)

Ankle support from boots is very much a myth, if you want weak ankles wear boots, if you want to build up the muscles around your ankles wear sandals. Mind you I would not advocate climbing Snowdon in Winter wearing Sandals. To me what is important is how well the sole grips. As for staying dry I sweat so much in boots, I might as well be wearing Sandals for all my feet stay dry.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The KSB's ain't great quality, alright for padding around the woods. I'll be in Cardiff this week and will look in the out door shops as I need a new pair of camping shoes, see whats on offer.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Ankle support from boots is very much a myth, if you want weak ankles wear boots, if you want to build up the muscles around your ankles wear sandals. Mind you I would not advocate climbing Snowdon in Winter wearing Sandals. To me what is important is how well the sole grips. As for staying dry I sweat so much in boots, I might as well be wearing Sandals for all my feet stay dry.

I really don't see how anyone can disagree that boots offer more support than shoes :confused:

If you own a pair of decent boots nip and put them on, lace em up properly and roll your ankle over to the side of your foot over see how far it gets.
Now try the exact same thing with a pair of shoes and tell me that boots don't offer ankle support.

Sure you can still turn an ankle in boots, but they do still offer a LOT more ankle support than shoes.

The other problem with your opinion i have is that you say "if you want weak ankles wear boots" i do not know of 1 person that wears boots 100% of the time.
So although i do agree in theory that, wearing mega stiff boots may over a long period of time allow some muscles to wither and weaken, it's pretty much a null point simply because very very very few people wear boots 100% of the time.

It also very much contradicts you previous opinion.

Ankle support from boots is very much a myth

if you want weak ankles wear boots

Which is it, as you can't really have both ;)

I understand that on certain terrain that ankle support may not be a priority.
I also understand that some folks prefer shoes/trainers/fell running/approach shoes, fair enough, that's their choice and as the vast majority of us on here are grown adults it's entirely up to them how they spend their money, on what, and what they wear on their feet.

If you tell me that you have walked done 20 miles in both (at different times obviously) approach shoes and boots and you prefer approach shoes then i will respect your opinion and you won't hear a peep out of me, as that's your opinion from your experiences.

But i do strongly feel that we have to be as accurate as we can with our advice, so i can't in good conscience sit here and not call you out on a few inaccuracies.

Cheers
Mark

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The KSB's ain't great quality, alright for padding around the woods. I'll be in Cardiff this week and will look in the out door shops as I need a new pair of camping shoes, see whats on offer.

I've had a few pairs of KSB's and have to agree the quality wasn't great.

In fairness to karrimor though, they did replace every boot i sent back to them free of charge.
1 pair leaked within the first 5 miles, with the pair they sent to replace them i stuck both boots in a bowl of water and they leaked out the box.
The next replacements were good for a while but after 2 years use, that leather material round the inside of the ankle disintegrated.
Figured they'd want to know, just to get some user feedback so i sent them some pics and an email, they thanked me and asked my to send them in, 2 weeks later i received a brand new pair from them. goodjob

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i just bought a brand new pair of miendl burma pro gtx boots boots felt great in the shop and i have worn them 5 days now
walking dogs in local woods but my right foot just feels too tight as my feet are wide so there up for sale?...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I really don't see how anyone can disagree that boots offer more support than shoes :confused:

If you own a pair of decent boots nip and put them on, lace em up properly and roll your ankle over to the side of your foot over see how far it gets.
Now try the exact same thing with a pair of shoes and tell me that boots don't offer ankle support.

Sure you can still turn an ankle in boots, but they do still offer a LOT more ankle support than shoes.

The other problem with your opinion i have is that you say "if you want weak ankles wear boots" i do not know of 1 person that wears boots 100% of the time.
So although i do agree in theory that, wearing mega stiff boots may over a long period of time allow some muscles to wither and weaken, it's pretty much a null point simply because very very very few people wear boots 100% of the time.

It also very much contradicts you previous opinion.

Which is it, as you can't really have both ;)

I understand that on certain terrain that ankle support may not be a priority.
I also understand that some folks prefer shoes/trainers/fell running/approach shoes, fair enough, that's their choice and as the vast majority of us on here are grown adults it's entirely up to them how they spend their money, on what, and what they wear on their feet.

If you tell me that you have walked done 20 miles in both (at different times obviously) approach shoes and boots and you prefer approach shoes then i will respect your opinion and you won't hear a peep out of me, as that's your opinion from your experiences.

But i do strongly feel that we have to be as accurate as we can with our advice, so i can't in good conscience sit here and not call you out on a few inaccuracies.

Cheers
Mark

Mark, you love your boots and thats nice, but with long distance hiker's moving over to approach shoes on very long and sometimes technically difficult walks shoes must have a lot going for them? They can't all be wrong, they don't all carry a 10kg pack. Talk of ankle support should also include the fact that any support they give must also restrict foot movement which in turn could perhaps encourage foot slips and twisted ankles?

Slightly off topic, IIRC Nike did a study some years ago on runner injuries with the obvious hope of improving their shoe design, turns out that runners going bare foot had less injuries lol (no, don't go without shoes).

Anyway, i had a twang of guilt earler and put my trusty crocs in the washing machine and now they are nice clean.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Mark, you love your boots and thats nice,

:lmao:

I really realllyyyyyy don't though.
It takes me anywhere from 10 to 15 mins to put my boots on (luckily i have a very patient dog :eek:) plus at this time of year it's a bit hot for boots here, give it another 8 weeks and it's too hot for sandals never mind boots.
So if there was an alternative on longer or loaded up walks i'd jump right in.

In fact that's exactly what i have done.
My approach shoes, my fell running shoes, my 5fingers and my sports sandals were all bought with the intention of replacing my boots.

If any one worked even close to as good as my boots (again on longer or loaded hikes) i would be stood on the rooftops singing their virtues

but with long distance hiker's moving over to approach shoes on very long and sometimes technically difficult walks shoes must have a lot going for them? They can't all be wrong, they don't all carry a 10kg pack.

To be honest i've never met a long distance hiker that wears shoes, i had read there are a few about but thought they were like honest politicians (i.e. few and far between :cool:)
If that works for them though then they have put the time into various solutions and found out their preference, absolutely no argument from me there.

That is their opinion based on their experiences goodjob

Talk of ankle support should also include the fact that any support they give must also restrict foot movement which in turn could perhaps encourage foot slips and twisted ankles?

Agree 100% that boots do restrict foot movement.
In my experience though i tend to slip and twist ankles more when wearing shoes though.

Slightly off topic, IIRC Nike did a study some years ago on runner injuries with the obvious hope of improving their shoe design, turns out that runners going bare foot had less injuries lol (no, don't go without shoes).

Anyway, i had a twang of guilt earler and put my trusty crocs in the washing machine and now they are nice clean.

I'd be wary of any manufacturer bestowing the virtues of anything, my thinking being that they'd tend to be prone to advertising data and reports that makes their latest "line" look the best.

Call me a cynic but i honestly believe it's the shoe manufacturers that started this trail shoe thing off.
I'd bet money some marketing person sat in their cubical 1 day thinking of an idea to get outdoors folks to buy more boots, only to then have the coin drop that by relabelling trainers as "approach shoes" us outdoor gear junkies will buy these AND boots :togo:

I understand i'm a bit of a noob here and that my opinion may well be discounted, fair enough.

If you don't believe me though, look at the folks that are paid to walk many miles carrying heavy loads, i.e. infantry.
How many infantry soldiers do you know of that would choose shoes over boots while out on op's?

Good luck with your crocs and the washing machine.

Cheers
Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
More and more are using shoes Mark lol, as my wife would say (mental health nurse) "He's gone to Egypt" (he's in de-nial) ;)

Have a look on the hiking forums, look on this thread, something to do with the long distance Scottish hike where more and more use shoes, some even do the 180 miles in Crocs! So they ain't like politicians, unless we are getting more politicians by the day.

Look out for talks about the likes of the PCT et al, shoes, shoes and shoes. Boots suit your needs, thats your view and good on yer, your entitled to it; but really when you keep advocating the boots issue your really digging a hole for yourself as the shoe trend is growing, no doubt about that so your only convincing yourself really.

I must try and sleep now, off swimming in the morning with the grandson, barefoot of course, no flippers;)

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I'm a boot fan TBH. I find they support my ankles better than approach shoes. But I think for a quick trip into the woods then approach shoes or trainers do have something to offer. I have a pair of Nike Alvords and they have been really good they are more of a trail running shoe than a typical approach shoe and are mega light and breathable. Perfect for a couple of days in a fixed camp after a bit of a walk in and they dry very quickly after a soaking...

Im after a pair of boots with similar construction so I'll probably plump for some Aku's if they live up to my expectations..

nigelbam

Apr 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I paid over £70 for some Merrel chameleons 2 years ago and they only just managed to survive a 2 week family holiday to Disney. Granted we did a lot of walking but I thought they were pretty rubbish considering the cost.

I see others swear by them so perhaps it is a QC issue rather than poor design, still I wouldn't buy another pair.

Nige.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

I have joint hypermobility syndrome so I know how far ankles can bend over when you are least expecting. However if you constantly rely on the support of boots, you are not going to strengthen those muscles you rely upon to hold you up. I used to wear heavy boots, but now I prefer to risk it with Sandals and Trainers, it is the sole that matters more to me, whether it grips or not, and Merrel Vibram soles I have found to be adequate. Whatever I have on my feet I would never walk without a stick or staff, that provides the support and balance I need.

I can see the semantic contradiction in my post, but that was not what I was intending to say, what I ought to have said that relying on boots for ankle support is a myth, and that there is a lot of rubbish talked about the neccesity of wearing boots. Look at what rock climbers wear. It's not boots is it, but very flexible rubber soled shoes and can you think of a more demanding terrain?

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
And I might also suggest that whatever you wear make sure you have enough duct tape to repair them in an emergency :)

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
Well I got a pair of Salewa Fire Tail (non gore-tex) approach shoes from my local outdoor store last week. I wore them around the flat on Saturday and then went for a 30km walk on Sunday in CHKO Kokořínsko with some colleagues from work.

I actually felt more confident on uneven terrain and I was much less fatigued at the end of the day. Having my ankle free to rotate laterally felt more secure, I thought it could feel more exposed and like it was going to turn and sprain but that wasn't the case. I also felt that I could plant each step more precisely with the increased freedom of movement and less momentum from the weight of heavier boots.

Although not related to the boots vs. shoes debate the rubber was very grippy and I got no blisters despite not really breaking them in before relatively long first walk and it being a hot sweaty day (I did spend ages walking around the shop trying the various shoes on so that paid off). So far I'm very impressed and may be converted to shoes. As for durability, I'll have to wait and see :)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I like boots and wear them pretty much all the time - I have one pair of shoes that are just for use on stage as they look great as buckled shoes for panto, one pair of shoes for wear with my DJ (about once every 2 years) and canoeing daps....
Mostly I like boots as I get them for reviewing in the mags and have become used to the feel of boots but also they keep water/grass/ticks out of your socks a lot better than shoes... and most of the time I am out in the countryside rather than in town.
In town I wear boots ... as that is what I have!
I mostly go for light weight military style boots such as Magnums or 5.11 as I find them more comfortable than true ex-military clod hoppers such as the famous German Para Boot and find that they tend to last pretty well...
Even in my school days I wore Jodpur boots, Kickers and other "street" type footwear ... but rarely a shoe!
And I detest sandles!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE