Dunure Wood

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Since finding this small woodland quite local to where Cutchy lives we have started doing last minute camping trips to here, starting in the pub for a few then somehow always managing to find a lift as it's all uphill. Anyway I posted some pictures of the first time so here is the second time (Now that I remembered to charge my camera :D)

I got to try my new Pacific Outdoor inflatable mat and DD tarp but sods law my Woodlore Golden Eagle sleeping bag arrived this morning so it was a day late :( , had to settle for my Tesco '-5' :lmao: bag but it worked quite well. Was woken by the noise of the rain about 3am but not a drop landed on me thanks to the tarp so can't fault it in any way and it was nice and easy to pack up so that was a nice change.

Two bags ready to go

DSC00182.jpg

First try of the new DD tarp (Had to set everything up in the dark so it's not up as well as I would have liked :( There are now only prusiks on the ends and the other 3 ridge loops are fed through the ridge line (Rookie mistake, thought it would have been a good idea.).

DSC00187.jpg

Lots of trees have blown over up here as it is very exposed and near the coast so that made for easy firewood collection.

DSC00186.jpg

My setup, tarp is pulled back to allow for access on clearing up as it was quite low due to the high wind.

DSC00191.jpg

Our campsite

DSC00190.jpg

View looking up and Cutchy in a tree!

DSC00209.jpg

Cutchy up a tree

DSC00188.jpg

The man with too much energy :D

DSC00189.jpg

Cutchy boiling water in a plastic bottle for a brew, yes Bear Grylls was on just before we left :lmao:

DSC00214.jpg

Apart from the wind and rain it turned out to be a great night as always and had to say a very comfortable night although it could have been slightly warmer but hopfully the Golden Eagle will sort this out :D Great spot and very handy for a spur of the moment type thing although we may try and make our way in daylight the next time as it would make things MUCH easier.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
It's slowly turning into our 'local' as we can just decide at any time that we can take a wander up, although there's a graveyard just down the road so solo camping would be a bit iffy I think. Thinking of using the dead wood to build some kind of windbreak or some sort of debris shelter as I think we are the only ones who really use the land and it's full of broken trees so don't think we would be doing any harm and it would make it a lot more comfortable for future trips.

Monkey boy has got far too much energy for that time in the morning and was doing our tradition of mocking Bear Grylls and getting to a high point to find rescue from a 50ft wide wood half a mile from the road :lmao:

We're still trying to convince more people to come up and spend the night but they tend to leave around midnight because they're feart of the cold (Can't wait to try the Golden Eagle ;).) so we weren't alone for long before Gaz and Colin start with the brokeback comments :lol:

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
You wont be disappointed in the golden eagle Scott its a good bag,and that looks like a good bit to do some solo camping at

Jason

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
I've already had a go on the bedroom floor for about 5 mins and it was toasty! Will need to familiarise myself with the woods a bit more before a solo camp and get the thought of the graveyard out of my head lol. Maybe once it's got shelters and windbreaks built it might be an option but for now I'm 'scared of the dark.' Managed to get the fire going with tinder card and a fire a fire steel so it turned out I did learn some things on our wee weekend away, and my knife is now like a razor so the apprentice is slowly learning :lmao:

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Nice 1 Scott , good pics buddy , I'm just back from a wee over niter at bracking bay , it's rite next to Danure we had a great walk along the beech down as far as butlins , oor Sean found some more flint for his collection ,
i think i know the bit u camped at is the grave yard at the top of the hill on the bad bend heading towards culzean ...what a lovely day it was today and yesterday wasn't bad either ... bring on the spring

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Aye mate Dunure is amazin, been my second home since I was about 8 lol. What night did you go because we got caught in the rain on Friday and then just missed the hail on the way home on Saturday, would have been good to go the day. The spring will be amazing when it comes especially wi the views up there.

The bit we camped is on the road that runs between Fisherton and Dunure if you don't turn into the villages, I've moved the A on google maps to it to show you exactly where we were.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&s...55599&sspn=0.007152,0.030899&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
Bud, word on the street is that the zombies came to get you at Loch Etive on the Friday night, but heard the noise output from the mosh pit and thought better of it, so i reckon you should be safe on you solo camp over.

Colin

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
WARNING - DO NOT TAKE HIS ADVICE "ITS A YANK" I'D TAKE MY CHANCES WITH THE ZOMBIES, FRIENDLY FIRE AND ALL THAT.

(no offence intended before i get shouted at, tis but a wee scottish joke about our most trusted allies, tee hee)

COLIN

JAG009

Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
WARNING - DO NOT TAKE HIS ADVICE "ITS A YANK" I'D TAKE MY CHANCES WITH THE ZOMBIES, FRIENDLY FIRE AND ALL THAT.

(no offence intended before i get shouted at, tis but a wee scottish joke about our most trusted allies, tee hee)

COLIN

Your a bad bad man Coiln!!!!!

Jason

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Zombies..my backside.

It's the ghouls and cannibals you need to watch down there :yikes:

Sawney Beens offspring set up in Dunure :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE