Dunure Wood..... Again :D

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Went up the woods again at the weekend, managed to get a good few more folk up but most didn't spend the night, did recruit a potential new hammocker though so our group may be expanding :)

Managed to make a few discoveries when we were there, for instance, you can get a Chinese delivered to the woods! The 'toonies' were extremely happy about this but I stuck to the Bushcraft code and settled for my boil in the bags :lol:

Everyone tucking into shredded chicken :lmao:

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

Our fire

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

Obligatory sleeping set up snap, getting better at putting it up now :D

DSC00220.jpg

DSC00223.jpg

Our camp, had a big fishing tarp as a shelter from the wind, what a relief!

DSC00222.jpg

DSC00224.jpg

One of the boys made soup, very tastey!

DSC00225.jpg

Finnally, me in the morning, had to climb between the layers of the hammock because of the windchill but after doing this I ended up nice and toasty despite it being -2ish :D

DSC00229.jpg

DSC00228.jpg

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Haha god only knows what the chainsaw was for cos it was started once and cut one log :lmao: typical toonys :lol:, ended up the laplander was actually quicker processing the logs! The full story of the takeaway was even better as our nearest point that anyone would know was a graveyard down the road so the call was 'hi em.... can you deliver to the graveyard!' Kind of wish I had got something but it's handy to know that it can be done!

Will need to get a meet up here but it badly needs tidied up as there are lots of trees down and I think it must have been a hot spot for underage drinkers as we found a clearing just down from us full of litter and alcopops, far too much to carry back so we will have to think of some way to get rid of all this to make it more cosy. First time we've really had a full day of daylight up there too as we usually start in the pub and go up when its dark so that made putting the hammock up a lot easier! :D

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
Great pics Scott , were u nice and warm in the hammock bud .

Aye mate when I managed to get out the wind by going inside the hammock, the wind changed during the night and started blowing in turning my sleeping bag into a fridge lol. After I sorted that I was toasty though lol. Looking forward to Glentrool noo, are you and the wee man going?

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
It's a different class mate, huge and roastin, could talk about it for ages! I was convinced at one point there was a heat pad underneath me, combination of that and the aerogel mat made for an extremely comfy sleep :D

Here's the link mate, it's out of stock on Woodlore til the end of March (I emailed them.) but I got mine new from a guy on ebay cos he got it as a present and didn't want it so I got it for about £140 delivered which was a bit of a bonus.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/64-Ray-Mears-Nanok-Sleeping-Bag-Golden-Eagle/

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
In normal circumstances I would never be able to save up for it but I got a decent bonus from work and decided to go against what I normally do and buy something good rather than pi$$ it against a wall like I usually do :lmao:

It's well worth it though ;)

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Aye mate when I managed to get out the wind by going inside the hammock, the wind changed during the night and started blowing in turning my sleeping bag into a fridge lol. After I sorted that I was toasty though lol. Looking forward to Glentrool noo, are you and the wee man going?

If you pack a poncho (or at a push use a rain jacket) you can hook it up over one end and tie the corners to the mid tieouts on the DD tarp. Works an absolute treat to block the wind when it's particularly wild.

Jinsin456

Settler
Nov 14, 2010
Maybole, Scotland
If you pack a poncho (or at a push use a rain jacket) you can hook it up over one end and tie the corners to the mid tieouts on the DD tarp. Works an absolute treat to block the wind when it's particularly wild.

I have quite a big Goretex jacket and never even thought of that, will definately be giving that a go when I'm next out, thanks for the tip mate :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE