Drovers

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
For hundreds of years the Welsh drovers herded their cattle across Wales and through England to the Midlands and as far south as Kent. The owners slept in inns while the herdsmen bivouac'd with the herd. One sure sign to look for was three Scots pine as farmers and innkeepers planted them to let the drovers know they would be welcome. Some placenames remain as a reminder of these bygone days - "Halfpenny fields" and "Halfpenny Green" show that a halfpenny was the going rate to graze your beasts for the night. These were the days before rampant inflation. In modern times, what would be halfpenny green today would be penny green tomorrow and tuppenny green the week after! These things have all disappeared long ago.

But, in all seriousness, apart from three Scots pine and some placenames, does anyone have any tips on how to suss out a good spot to spend the night? I think it would probably be a good idea to ask a few questions at the pub about any local farmers who might welcome passing nomads for the night - but in the 21st century, has anyone any tips on finding a good place to spend the night?

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Very interesting, Chinkapin. As a boy I remember, one lovely sunny summer's afternoon, a 'gentleman of the road' sitting in an armchair in our garden talking to my dad as my mum brought him cups of tea and sandwiches. Another character who went by the rather splendid moniker of Black Jack would call by now and again for a cuppa. I remember his horse and cart outside the garden gate. I think he was more of a gypsy than a tramp, or 'milestone inspector' as dad called them. I dont know why they particularly chose our house to visit, but mum was the village schoolmistress and we lived in the schoolhouse so perhaps we were a good bet for a civilised reception. But perhaps there was a sign somewhere in the neighbourhood that said "Kindhearted lady lives here". :)

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Go a hundred yards away from a track, don't take the **** by doing it on farmers land and sleep where you want.

Move on early in the morning and don't start fires in woods you don't own.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I know the American Gypsy's or Romany people had markings and warnings but I've not been able to find any. I suspect the hobo markings may have had their origins or at least part or their origins in those, but it is pure speculation on my part.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE