Drone Photography/Videography

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I recently bought a drone. Never had much interest in them before, up until i was talking to someone about them. I watched a few videos on youtube, and before i knew it, one was ordered :biggrin:

I dont really have any specific use for it, and ive never been one for making videos or taking photos, but im interested in learning photography a bit better with the drone. Makes for some interesting views of places you have been a hundred times before.

I had my first flight today, and learned a few things with it.
Firstly, i really need to learn more about exposure settings etc, and i need to get some filters for the sunlight. Everything was quite bright and lots of glare off the water.

Secondly, it is possible to get lost in the air. Handy having a return-to-me button !

I did intend to upload a video, but my internet sucks, so ive taken some frames from it instead. Had to play with some settings to dull the glare, but my future images should get better. This is a learning experience.

Only thing im let down by is the noise of the drone, sounds like an extremely angry swarm of bees up till about 30 metres away, then fades away. Pretty impressed with it though.

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Try to fly within sight and not rely on the return feature as they don’t always work every time. Nothing more gutting than losing it and not having a clue where to look Good pics though and they are great fun

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Nice pics, which drone did you buy?

Thanks. Its the DJI Mavic Air

I did have line of sight to it, but take your eye off it when its a little distance away and it becomes invisible. Got myself a bit confused looking at the cameras view. Learning curve :)
I actually was thinking about looking into a small tracker for it so i have something independent of the drone software to find it with if ever required. Fine if i crash, as it has a map and positioning on my screen, but if it loses signal id imagine ill just have the last known location to go by.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
There's a couple of web forums and FB community's. I have a Mavic Pro and love it. I've posted a few pics/videos on my website/YT/FB. I'm always struck by how different the normal looks when seen from above.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
I've wanted one for some time to use with my GoPro, however, prices for these drones are just too high for me. Can't justify the cost to get a few clips of canoe/forest camps. Love the pictures though

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
To avoid flare do not shoot into the sun or at the edge of the frame. Filters will not help with flare but may make it worse. Make sure the lens is clean it will reduce flare.
Some lenses are more pro e to flare a lens good helps if they are available.

If the shot are to bright use exposure compensation.

Does the camera take HDR shots?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
There's a couple of web forums and FB community's. I have a Mavic Pro and love it. I've posted a few pics/videos on my website/YT/FB. I'm always struck by how different the normal looks when seen from above.

Yeah i saw your Glendevon video before, nice stuff. Planning to take it to the various places i walk my dog regularly, be nice to see how it looks from above.

I've wanted one for some time to use with my GoPro, however, prices for these drones are just too high for me. Can't justify the cost to get a few clips of canoe/forest camps. Love the pictures though

To be honest, i spent more than i intended to, and more than i probably should have done. I was surprised when i started to look into them and saw the prices, you can get fairly decent ones with cameras for £100 or so now. I started looking at the ranges they could do, and pack size etc etc and ended up with the Mavic Air. In my defense, i got it second hand, so i saved a bit that way :)

To avoid flare do not shoot into the sun or at the edge of the frame. Filters will not help with flare but may make it worse. Make sure the lens is clean it will reduce flare.
Some lenses are more pro e to flare a lens good helps if they are available.

If the shot are to bright use exposure compensation.

Does the camera take HDR shots?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Read up on some of the settings last night to help with exposure etc, will try them out today i think and see how it helps.
According to google it is capable of HDR. But ill be honest, i had to google what HDR was first :)

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The second a sixth are quite nice.

Something to remember is that when faced with a nice view a good photo does not always follow.
It is said it matters as much what you leave out as to what you include when composing a shot.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I have a small drone, very much a toy in comparison with some of the newer ones. I would love to get myself a really top class one, however they tend to be rather expensive.
The closet thing I got to a good photo was my WiFi camera on a long stick.

Reactions: mikehill

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE