Drinking horn

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Yesterday I bought a drinking horn and I'm wondering whats the best way to clean it.
I bought it full of mead :p and have rinsed it out a few times but it still smells of mead, is it ok to use detergents on it or will this spoil it.

If you have any other horn advice it will be most appreciated.

Andy

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Lots of Vodka will cover the mead smell nicely...

I believe though, that you can use normal washing up liquid etc and that the only thing to really avoid, is very hot water as this will soften the horn (so to speak) and it may change shape whiel you're washing it.

It will harden again once cooled but i'm sure repeating this action will eventually destroy it.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you get yours for? was it at a reinactment fair?

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Squidders said:
Just out of curiosity, how much did you get yours for? was it at a reinactment fair?

It was a fest celebrating 1200years of the town ingolstadt in germany. There was lots of reinactment stuff from blacksmithing to archery, all the participents where camping in medevil tents with open fires and roasting pigs. There were stalls selling leather goods, horns, knives, cloathing and naturally beer and mead :D .
There was also loads of musicians, some played old songs, some more modern style music with old style instruments-Brilliant :)
I wish there were more of this going on, I dont think I've ever felt so at home at a fest.

My horn costed 11.50 Euro with mead, it holds adout 0.25L. I also got a niffty drinking horn holder that hangs from the nice belt that I also bought. I always spend too much money at these things :lmao:

Thanks for the hot water advice, my girlfriend was just about to wash it for me :yikes:

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
EdS said:
on a similar note how do I stop a horn cup smelling like a hot and bothered highland beast?
Somewhere round here I read that you can clean them out by leaving coca-cola in them over night!

Big Steve

Tenderfoot
Jun 5, 2006
Gloucester
If you soak your vessel in a strong solution of Miltons sterilising fluid overnight (used for kids' bottles etc), then I have found that it removes the majority of lingering odours... I use it to sterilise my kit at home when making 'Jeddah Gin' and it neutralises the heady afterwhiff quite well.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
EdS said:
on a similar note how do I stop a horn cup smelling like a hot and bothered highland beast?

Is the horn still attached to the dead beast?, cos if it is, that is most probably your problem, it needs removing.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE