Drill of Drills!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I know what you mean, to some extent, about his enthusiasm (you call it gushing; I wouldn't) in his reviews, but I can get past that with him. It's the same as his religious thing, you just have to let him be the fella he is.
The reason I'm able to get past all this with him is that he talks the talk, but oh boy he walks the walk in a big way; he always sees things through and he runs that homestead of his using all the stuff he "gushes" about.

I admire the man for his commitment, his knowledge and above all for the fact that he and his family live the life. :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Don't get me wrong I have watched a ton of his vids and learnt a lot which I am grateful for, especially his axe ones. I guess gushing is a bit strong and should replace that term with enthusiasm.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I appreciate this drilling tool for its design and build and function but it serves next to no purpose today other than to say ' I have one and you don't'!

So it does have a purpose. It's designed and built to drill holes, no power required. I'd rather use one than a brace if the need arose.

Wrangler Stars proved that a modern tool with a good quality bit will make the exact same hole more quickly, so with access to power, you'd have to be using the beam drill for the love of it. But at the same time, if you're in the middle of a field, no generator and you want a hole in a piece of wood... it's either a brace, a beam drill or dynamite. And the latter wouldn't leave a nice looking hole.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I doubt that you have any modern log homes. Here, homes and commercial log buildings run up well into the millions$$$$$.
That hand crank device has been replaced with one powered by a substantial chain saw engine. In daily use.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
So it does have a purpose. It's designed and built to drill holes, no power required. I'd rather use one than a brace if the need arose.

Wrangler Stars proved that a modern tool with a good quality bit will make the exact same hole more quickly, so with access to power, you'd have to be using the beam drill for the love of it. But at the same time, if you're in the middle of a field, no generator and you want a hole in a piece of wood... it's either a brace, a beam drill or dynamite. And the latter wouldn't leave a nice looking hole.

Err, maybe you should add that you have no chance of charging batteries at home either as I've been in that exact situation and just used a cordless.

Don't get me wrong, I like old tools but I can drill holes into wood upto about 65mm diameter with my cordless.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Err, maybe you should add that you have no chance of charging batteries at home either as I've been in that exact situation and just used a cordless.

Don't get me wrong, I like old tools but I can drill holes into wood upto about 65mm diameter with my cordless.

What if the battery runs out? And you didn't have a spare? And there was a torrential storm blocking you from exiting the field? And a dinosaur with big teeth? :rolleyes:

I was going off what happened with WranglerStar when he tried to use a large bit with a cordless... never tried to drill a hole that big with a cordless myself.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I have used a brace and bit quite extensively in rewiring pubs over the years. Unless you fork out mega pounds on high torque drills that break your wrists there is no better way to drill in 400 year old Oak beams!

The guy is happy with his drill, I'm pleased he now has one after watching the new vid.

I will still call out any vids I think (that's my opinion) that are ott in object placement. I got my knickers in a twist over his knife vid, I felt maybe wrongly he was over endorsing a knife maker he knew personally? That sullied further vids that I probably would not have noticed any 'gushing' if not for 'that' vid?

What I'm saying is that it's not the end of the world if you can't get an item these videos big up. I see it time and again, vids come up with must have stuff only for people to feel bad when items are all but unavailable.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE