Drill of Drills!

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is a beautiful and ingenious drill. Unbelievable condition considering the age of it and the fact its a working tool.

Robson Valley

On a new journey
Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My prairie ancestor's homestead barn was raised in about 1886. Massive beams with most ingenious oak pegging.
When the barn was dismantled in the mid 1960's (crumbling mortar in the stone foundations), Dad and Uncle Jim
tried to bore holes with a brace and bits to mirror the construction. Not.
I do believe that you have shown me the solution to that construction puzzle. Big stone barns were going up all over the Canadian prairies
between 1884 and 1900. That boring machine or its equivalents must have been common!
Thank you.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
There are a few comments on the video saying "Why not just use power tools". I've yet to see a power tool that can be lifted from beam to beam yet drill holes at a repeatable preset angle. Power tools that can drive a large auger bit slowly are also in short supply.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
It solves a puzzle in my head... I've always looked at the old timber frame buildings and wondered how the carpenters could consistently produce mortice and tenon joints with hand tools. This explains at least some of it, the drill would make light work of getting the majority out and a good sharp chisel would make clean up a happier job.

Has me wondering how difficult it would be to recreate a modern version of that same tool.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I've got one of these: http://marcuskarlsten.se/onewebstatic/3ea78bf1ac-Borrsväng-spiral.jpg
Don't know what they're called in english, but isn't that what you usually use for tapping birches and the like?

Battery powered tools can't match it for torque.
It will easily produce holes the size of in that video. Even in dry timber. It's obviously not as easy to drill at perfect angles, but that is solved by drilling with the pieces in place so the holes line up perfectly anyways.

Look them up! Mine was cheap at a yard sale.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
We call that a Brace drill.. nice bit of kit. I've owned a few, but for one reason or another (read relationship breakdown) they've gone to that great toolbox in the sky... or were flogged on Ebay ;)

Some of the 1800s era brace drills were very ornate and fancy looking, but even today you can still buy one new. Real alternative to battery powered drills, and as long as you have two good arms, the power never runs out with a brace.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I think he's right, if you want quality you have to use the quality bits (which is stating the obvious to a certain extent)... but when it comes to using powered tools mixed with quality bits, it'll do the same job more quickly and easily.

Love working with handtools, but the difference between the old flat edge screw with a handheld screwdriver, or a posi drive screw with an electric screwdriver... world of difference and a lot less pain.

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
I found one for sale, only 50 euro's.

$_84.JPG

Arrrg...I don't need it....I don't need it....I don't need it....I don't need it....:aargh4::aargh4:

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
I like tools as much as the next man but I have to say Wrangler Stars gushing reviews are starting to irritate me, what put me over the edge was his recent 16:22 minute gush on his new Bushcraft knife that was to me an average at best blade.

I appreciate this drilling tool for its design and build and function but it serves next to no purpose today other than to say ' I have one and you don't'! Maybe this guy will now build a barn with it, I will wait for the vid in anticipation.

Im sorry for being Mr miserable on this one but I just can't take the gushing no dang more! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE