Dried Foods...

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
As Matthew said nuts, dried fruit is good emergency food plus things like power bars.

I dry a lot of my own food at home for camping trips and its an awful lot cheaper than ready made.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can't say I've ever heard of Mountain House, where have you seen them ?

Like the chaps have already said, nuts/fruit etc are always useful. I tend to pick up a couple of chewy bars for trips out, the more calories/sugar the better :)

For something more substantial I carry bulgar wheat or pasta for a quick fill.

Plenty of stuff out there you can add water to for a decent meal.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mountain house are US based - they do freeze dried hiker trail rations and large cans intended for emergency food supplies for cabins, emergencies etc.

The big advantage of the cans are that they have a 20 year shelf life.

There are also available now freeze dried individual ingredients. Now dome dried onions, spray dried egg and freeze dried prawns make a lovely omlette in camp and weigh only a few grams.

I like the idea of freeze dried ingredients rather than meals - allows me to be more creative and add them to foraged and fresh stuff.

Red

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Mountain House is pretty good taste wise for dried food. Being freeze dried It is lightweight too. While backpacking in California last year I dumped some of my own stuff and replaced it with food people had posted on, but never came to collect.

We were munching nuts and dried fruit through the day which kept up our energy levels topped up.

Stu

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
We have spent the last few weekends drying fresh veg and fruit in our oven. The benefit of carrying dehydrated food in the back pack is amazing. The concentrated flavour of the tomatoes is brill. :D

My first jerky goes in overnight tonight. I can hardly wait.
If you haven't tried it yet. give it a go. Use only fresh but cheap produce cos its in season and a glut.
ATB
G:)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I sell Mountaim House in the shop, seems pretty decent dried commercial food, though home made or stuff from the Chineese supermarket tastes better. Mountain House also do a "dried" red wine!!! not sold in this country as yet, though available on the net, there was a thread about it a while back.
Salami's and jerky, as well as "normal" dried stuff like pulses, rice, cous cous and pasta are hugely cheaper though, though they tend to take longer to hydrate. Why I carry a nalgene bottle, add water at lunch and just heat at night. So saving fuel.

TTFN
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE