Down mats and 1 man tent???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
Hey folks.
For my bikepacking expeditions im looking for a 1 man tent.
Something cheapish = £100
Lightweight = 1.5kg max
And most importantly i need to be able to sit up in it to cook.

Standing im 175cm or 5'9", Sitting im 91cm tall and cant find anything. They either dont tell you the internal height or are too small.

What have you guys got, and what are they like for sitting up???

Also im looking for a inflatable down mat. Being a little on the fat side i want to know what some other bigger guys use and do they keep you off the floor when side sleeping??

Last edited:

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
Zeph 2 works for me, its big downside is its packed size, i end up strapping it on top of the pannier rack.

ps. 9'5", you're wasted over here mate, head to the NBA ;)

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I'm 160cm tall, and solidly built. I have a Terra Nova solo tent that is now not available so that won't help you, it was one of the lengthwise single hoop designs and is plenty tall enough for me to sit upright. I use a Thermarest Base Camp mat which is very comfortable. I'd be wary of mats with built-in padding, better to have an extra piece of blanket or whatever cut to size for the mat if you really think you need it.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
eeerrr yeah a slight typo on my behalf there.......!!

That Black hawk tent looks nice, shame the inner is not attached to the outer. I need something quick to set up, dont want to be faffing about in the wind/rain after 60 miles of riding a day.

How big is the interior of the Zephyros in cm??

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Zephyros 2:

zoom_Zephyros_2_Tent_1.jpg

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
How about a luxe mini-peak....?

Was gonna suggest that. The peak is a good height above your head. At 175cm and the angle of the tent and the mat you sit on you have to be looking for the interior to be 110cm at the peak I recccon, so plus the fly 120cm.

The problem of the silpeaks pole being central( I remember the old ridge tents and twanging my limbs of there poles. I reccon a vango Banshee main pole cut and altered with a bit of tension webbing would make a good alternative pole.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I would go for one of these two:

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/aspect-1-tent/

http://www.vango.co.uk/gb/1-person-tent/29-zenith-100.html#

depending on the style you prefer. both have just enough headroom but you will be pressed against the bug netting. I would favour the aspect because you can tie the side out as a little canopy if it's wet. Both are above your cost and weight requirements though so other than buying a tarp you're going to have a really hard time getting the size with low weight within the cost so something has to give.

As for the mat, I would go for a Thermarest NeoAir long/wide and probably go for the all season just to be flexible. It's a big comfy mat that packs tiny.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Get a Luxe Sil-minipeak. It fits you requirements perfectly.

You can grab one for about £100, It weights very little and even less if you leave inner at home and you can also situp and cook in it.

Alternatively if you want a tarp-tent go for the MLD Trailstar, Although it's over your budget.

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
I picked up a Luxe Hex Peak recently and am quite happy with it. Loads of room to sit up, light and packs down small etc, and I reckon the MiniPeak would also be very good.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
Mini peak all the way a sound tent for being able to sit up in and cook and room for gear etc. I use a this tent with a Exped synmat and got the longer and wider version, the extra weight is well worth the comfort, ideal set-up for wild camping bicycle touring.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I have a Zephyros 2 and can't sit up in it. I'm 6'1 so you might get away with it. Good tent though...

Anyway I've got one of these on order, I'll let you know how I get on with it if you like?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Blac...parallel-chord-1-2-gauze-tent/1686424224.html

Thanks for the link. That looks good and within my price range. I am currently using a Vango banshee and would also like a light weight tent that I can sit up in, that doesn't break the bank. If you could let us all know what you think of it that would be great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE