Double Mattress Recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I'm looking for options for an inflatable double camping bed for two persons with a larger build. After something to use for the upcoming Great Outdoors Festival and The Bushcraft Show so we won't have to carry it far from the car and weight is not a consideration.

Does anyone have any experience with any they could recommend?

Thanks

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Not sure of your budget but I have the single version of the Vango Shangri La 10cm self inflating matress and I love it.

They do do a double version but personally I'd get two singles for the extra space and comfort.

Reactions: Winnet

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not sure of your budget but I have the single version of the Vango Shangri La 10cm self inflating matress and I love it.

They do do a double version but personally I'd get two singles for the extra space and comfort.
There is something to be said for using two long/wide singles over a double. Unless there’s a separation built into a double inflatable then any movement by the other can be annoying in the night. We ping a fitted sheet over a couple of Exped Synmats or just push them together, it works fine.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I can't imagine a double airmat that works well unless the air space is seperated.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Not for camping, but we've used the type of blue inflatable airbeds you can pick up in lots of places in the UK. They're the size of a double bed and about 25-30cm high. They last a surprisingly long time, but eventually they'll get a hump forming somewhere. I'm sure they'd work for car camping if your tent is tall enough.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not for camping, but we've used the type of blue inflatable airbeds you can pick up in lots of places in the UK. They're the size of a double bed and about 25-30cm high. They last a surprisingly long time, but eventually they'll get a hump forming somewhere. I'm sure they'd work for car camping if your tent is tall enough.
They’re not very warm is the only thing, too much air so it can’t act as insulation. Also not that big either. I’ve had lousy nights on the big inflatables, even ones with a barrier separating the two sides so we don’t bounce each other around getting in and out. Nearly all camping mats bar the ultralights have insulation inside.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
They’re not very warm is the only thing, too much air so it can’t act as insulation.
Well yes and no, when the warm part is on top no convective cells can form and just normal conduction works so the insulation is half way decent. From my experience they are not the most comfortable option but worse have been seen.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, get two. For ages, we had two mattresses on our bed, one firmer than the other; and we are planning to go back to that model.

Then you have option of just taking one if you ever go on your own. Not so good if you are habitual spooners, though.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
They’re not very warm is the only thing, too much air so it can’t act as insulation. Also not that big either. I’ve had lousy nights on the big inflatables, even ones with a barrier separating the two sides so we don’t bounce each other around getting in and out. Nearly all camping mats bar the ultralights have insulation inside.
They are a bit cold as is, but I just put a fleece blanket on top of the mattress, which made a massive difference in terms of thermal comfort.

They might not be as durable as a Thermarest or Exped mattress, but for £20-30, I would certainly not knock it for two or three summer car camping trips. Just don’t kneel on them if you’re a larger unit.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They are a bit cold as is, but I just put a fleece blanket on top of the mattress, which made a massive difference in terms of thermal comfort.

They might not be as durable as a Thermarest or Exped mattress, but for £20-30, I would certainly not knock it for two or three summer car camping trips. Just don’t kneel on them if you’re a larger unit.
Thing is, we had one trip with ours, and my side deflated in the night. Madam was cold on her side despite the massive extra comfort of not lying on hard ground like I was, and the whole experience was lousy as a result. Also, Mikee is suggesting that himself and his partner are bigger units and looking for recommendations on that spec. So, a long/wide that’s reasonable cheap is what he’s after.

Stew’s recommendation of the Vango above is the sort of thing I reckon.

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
Thanks for all the recomendations. After the latest "requirement" from the Mrs of a portable toilet in the tent I think im ujust gonna use one of the cheapo blue ones for now. If after 2 trips out the Mrs has no objection to us going camping a few times per year then I will happily upgrade to one of the more quality beds.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for all the recomendations. After the latest "requirement" from the Mrs of a portable toilet in the tent I think im ujust gonna use one of the cheapo blue ones for now. If after 2 trips out the Mrs has no objection to us going camping a few times per year then I will happily upgrade to one of the more quality beds.
Probably best not install an empty Tesco carrier bag for now then? ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE