Double dangler sheaths: Ds, Os or Rectangles?

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
A bit of idle curiosity...most double dangler sheaths I see on here are attached to the belt loop with a brass D-ring, though I think (possibly mistakenly) that I've seen the odd one with a brass O-ring. I started using D-rings, but moved onto using brass rectangles, as I felt that this sat better in the belt loop and was likely to cause less wear on the belt loop (as the D-ring only has two points of contact on the belt loop, whereas the rectangle has a line of contact).

The rectangle also tends to ensure that the sheath hangs vertically, though it may be that the D- or O-ring gives a bit more flexibility in that the sheath can rotate to hang vertically if the wearer is bending over.

So...anyone else have any thoughts on this. :)

Geoff

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Personally I'd go with a D-ring given it allows the sheath to rotate and dangle - but then I've only made on sheath so far and that wasn't a dangler. (Oh and you could rotate on a rivet to effectively get a "line" of contact if you so desired)

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I prefer the D ring as it gives the sheath the ability to rotate, which to me is the whole point of the double dangler, the ability of the sheath to pivot out of the way when sitting down.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE