Double bit axe handles

To be honest if you can source some decent ash, its not to difficult to have a crack at yourself; if you fancy a bit of woodwork that is :p

I've been thinking about that. I'd love to, and there's a nice looking felled Ash tree that may be suitable in my local. But I don't fancy having to leave it to dry for however long before fitting it and using it.

I wouldn't know where to look for ready dried Ash, I have had a look at local timber merchants but none of them stock any suitable hardwoods.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A pickaxe handle will be wide enough, long enough and made of Hickory if you have the skills to re-shape it chap.

crowman

Forager
Oct 27, 2009
derbyshire
I did one with a pick axe handle and it looks great I was really worried about the amount of wood I had to remove as the hole in the 3.5 pounds double axe heads is really slim because of the heads shape , I gave it to a friend of mine for splitting and he uses every day nearly for his wood and we both use it when we go felling , the only time I've thought I might of broke it was when I buried it in a large ring I was splitting and got it stuck but it came out, between us its had some heavy use and is still good , I must admit I wish I hadn't given it too him its lovely to use and handy having two edges.

Feb 4, 2012
United Kingdom
Phone Barnitts - they have tons more stuff in store than on the website. I got two axe handles from them.

I'm also looking for a double bit handle for a 3 1/2 pound plumb head I bought last year. I phoned Barnitts after seeing this thread but they don't have any in stock. They do have some single bit handles though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE