Dont Buy A GPS Unit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
When the batteries fail in your GPS unit, just put in the fresh set you always should carry. Do you not carry spares for your camera for instance?

In the 21st century I would have thought map, compass, GPS and mobile phone should compliment your kit.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I don't use a compass when I'm out as generally I know where I am and where I'm going before I leave the house,Yes you can get lost in thick fog and such ,but then I'm normally carrying enough kit to see me comfortable for at least 24 hrs.
So GPS may fail,big deal.They found all the other countries without it a long time ago.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
As you can now see in the mission schedule, NASA have started their schedule for 2011 which means NASA isn't just decommissioning their fleet and leaving it as such - Be realistic guys, GPS is far to heavily relied on for the US Airforce to just allow it to fall apart.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
GPS is a military system and designed to be rugged.

don't mean it works though! ;)

its bound to break eventually.

i hope it doesnt breaks soon as i will be getting a gps soon to do geological mapping as part of my dissertation :eek: - i need to be accurate!

VtBlackdog

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2008
VT~USA
LMAO!
I"ve done over 100 geocaches, countless hikes and hunting trips with my GPS and its never failed....altough I DID read the instruction manual.

fast but dim

Nomad
Nov 23, 2005
lancs
i never venture out in unfamiliar hills, or bad weather in familiar hills without my gps. i use it when i am unsure where i am on the map, mainly in low vis. imo it is an invaluable tool.

if you can afford one, buy one and leave it in your bag (after reading the instructions)

i got caught in a white out caused by strong winds and snow on helvellyn a couple of years ago.my mate had a gps, and we got back to the car by re tracing our gps tracks. god knows how we'd have got back without it. It was a scary predicament to be in with a gps, we picked up 2 winter climbers and a few walkers who were struggling en route.

using a map and compass to get back would have took a LOT longer, maybe taking us into the night, which would not have been good.

i bought a gps shortly after. i know i can find my gr accurately for navigating, and for giving an 100% accurate location to mountain rescue if needed.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
If you spend a little time actually learning how to use one properly they are invaluable tools, I've used one for work almost every day for the past 5 or 6 years and it's always been accurate and has never failed on me once.

So many systems rely on gps now e.g. airlines, fishing vessels etc. there's no way it's just going to fizzle out. Gps is here to stay.

Crafty

Forager
Apr 7, 2009
...Location.... Location....
I'll agree that they aren't the most user-friendly devices; GPS Recievers, but reading the manual, and practice using it will help when you are in the field and you are no longer in your comfort zone.
I never believe something is reliable if it is electronic, but it is fantastic to back up your map and compass in sticky situations.

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
I find the luddite attitude towards gps a bit strange & even slightly selfish. Mountain rescue organisations say you should carry one and learn how to use it in addition to map and compass. If you fall and get disorientated or get lost in a white out, you'll always know where you are with a gps and map & can read out an accurate grid ref should you need to contact help. That's better than saying "I think i'm somewhere near" wherever. It saves them time and possibly even somone elses life who may have been searching in the wrong place before.

hertsboy

Forager
May 16, 2009
Watford, Hertfordshire
I spend a fair amount of time in the mountains of Wales and Northern England - can be dangerous if you get lost in the mist. And I can tell you, getting disoriented when the mist comes down is a very easy thing to do.

I always carry a cheap Garmin E-Trex (cost me £35) - I don't really know how to use it properly, and I don't want to either - much prefer good old maps. In fact the only thing I can do with it is get a location reading, so I will always know where I am.

As a matter or fact, I've only actually used it once - and that was in the Chiltern Hills of civilzed South Eastern England. I'd taken a wrong turn on a woodland path and had gone aboout a mile out of my way, but I just couldn't make out where I was on the map.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE