Does heat proof paint really stand up to flames ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I`m decomissioning the IT network in one of our warehouses on Friday and I`ve spotted an IBM server rack with loads of 1mm perforated steel panels on it. My mind filled with all sorts of ideas for recycling, including the thought of making some flat pack stoves after seeing Gaillaines in Scotland at the weekend.

I`m not sure what quality of steel it is but it`s certainly not going to be stainless, I don`t expect the paint on there now to last very long so I was thinking how I could coat it with something to stop it rusting after the first few trips out.

Any ideas anyone ?

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
BBQ or AGA(wood stove) heat proof paint is safe up to i think around 700 degrees c.

basically if it's going to be used on an open fire or standard camping cooker, you won't get anyware near enough heat to damage it.
It's quite pricey though £6.00 for a small tin, if you want a good finish you can get spray paint!

hope that helps

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
I would have thought that,
the action of assembly/dissassembly and rubbing together in your pack would be more than enough to scrape or chip the paint off in short order - thus allowing a path for rust to enter under whatever paint might be left. Add to the fact that any tar deposits will be slightly corrosive anyway and my recommendation would be to just look after the bare steel. Cleaning off any tar build up and brush off any rust that does form. If you're putting it away for long term storage, a thorough clean and a wipe with an oily rag or WD40 should help - but remember to flare it all off before the next cooking session.
Sounds like you won't be short of material for a spare panel occasionally.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I would have thought that,
the action of assembly/dissassembly and rubbing together in your pack would be more than enough to scrape or chip the paint off in short order - thus allowing a path for rust to enter under whatever paint might be left. Add to the fact that any tar deposits will be slightly corrosive anyway and my recommendation would be to just look after the bare steel. Cleaning off any tar build up and brush off any rust that does form. If you're putting it away for long term storage, a thorough clean and a wipe with an oily rag or WD40 should help - but remember to flare it all off before the next cooking session.
Sounds like you won't be short of material for a spare panel occasionally.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Yeah good point OTT, I hadn`t really thought about that.

I just thought it was a shame to leave all that steel for the next owners when I could use it for making new toys.

Might get round to that fire pit in the garden this year now :rolleyes:

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
plasti-kote do a bbq spray it says here on the tin that its heat resistant to 425C and i'll atest that its quick drying and gives a nice finish to the metal too!
hehe
i've done airsoft mags in the stuff and they lasted ages without chipping so i reckon it should hold up well

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Shewie,
by all means give it a try, it might just work for you.
But I'd hate for you to dive straight in and then be disapointed by a paint chip or worn patch and a rusty hobo - so my post was to balance previous posts and maybe save you a little money, heck knows I've blown enough of it in the past.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE