Does anyone use a surplus Swedish Army Trangia stove kit?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
http://www.will.copeland.btinternet.co.uk/SA_Trangia.htm
or....
http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com/itemDetail.cfm?product=&item=497

I have one of these kits and really enjoy using it. Does anyone else use one? I bought the whole kit for $5 here in the states. The burner is amazing.

Does anyone have any recomendations on what to cook with it? Do you use anything else in addition to it for cooking?

If someone could post their cooking set ups, modifications or opinions of it I would appreciate it.

I use mine in conjunction with my Swiss Volcano stove kit.....

http://west.loadup.com/military/surplus/12644.html

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I use it. It's simply the best cooking gear I have seen. Much better and durable than hexitabs, cooker and mess tins. :wink:

And they're cheap too. And because of the green colour, they're more concealed than a standard. Though it turns black with time. :)

There's so many variations on how to use them. :biggthump

If you do a search here you'll find loads of posts and threads! :D

TheViking said:
I use it. It's simply the best cooking gear I have seen. Much better and durable than hexitabs, cooker and mess tins. :wink:

And they're cheap too. And because of the green colour, they're more concealed than a standard. Though it turns black with time. :)

There's so many variations on how to use them. :biggthump

If you do a search here you'll find loads of posts and threads! :D

Funny, mine is not painted at all and it looks brand new. Is that rare? What do all of you typically cook in yours?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Ridge Runner said:
Funny, mine is not painted at all and it looks brand new. Is that rare? What do all of you typically cook in yours?
Mine looks like this. :) It has dark green lid and pot. Black windscreen and dark pale burner.

I cook everything on mine. Water just for mixing up, oatmeal in the morning and dinner in the evening. :biggthump

TheViking said:
Mine looks like this. :) It has dark green lid and pot. Black windscreen and dark pale burner.

I cook everything on mine. Water just for mixing up, oatmeal in the morning and dinner in the evening. :biggthump

Is yours steel or aluminum? Mine is shiny aluminum and has a shiny brass colored burner. The windscreen is black.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
How much does the steel one weigh with the windscreen and stuff ? the swedish messkit looks very tempting, but on second though, i don't like hauling heavy loads. Thats why mine current cook set is a snowpeak track 900

Paganwolf

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
its a good solid bit of kit RR you can get a good few bits inside also brew kit, spices sauces ect, id recomend them, i use mine alot and ive had no problems with it at all ....

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I think all the Trangia (or Trangia-like) products are great. The Swedish Army rig works like a champ, but I much prefer it as emergency gear in my car or home, rather than using it for backpacking.

It's just too big for my purposes. At most, I boil a cup and a half of water for my supper meal and beverage.

So I more often take the MiniTrangia (Model 28). It uses a similar burner (just a tad smaller) and is a complete, self-contained kitchen. All it lacks is a cup or mug of some sort.

http://www.libertymtn.com/catalog.php?type=product&id=WM16670&aid=

The only shortcoming of this rig is the windscreen. Easy enough to remedy with some aluminum flashing.

Also -- Can anyone tell me a way to fold the Swedish Trangia so some part of the bail isn't clanging and rattling or catching on things?!? The second detent in the bail is where the hook goes when it's folded up, but even so it's pretty awkward.

I've thought of replacing the bail with a wire bail and two snap-hooks. That could be rolled up and stored inside the pot.

I've also taken to carrying a small aluminum cup (also made by Trangia) inside the pot. There's a lot of room in there.

Any other adaptations or modifications going on out there?

Bear

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I'm loving this...

stove008.jpg

stove009.jpg

stove010.jpg

stove007.jpg

Great bit of kit. Use it with any 11-14cm pot of your choice. Superb.

Read more in this thread....
http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=3930

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Good thread. I don't have experience with the trangia, but have been looking at the Swedish unit and thinking about getting the SS setup for the vehicle. I'm liking both of the smaller trangia's referenced and would prefer to carry something like that in my primary ruck along with my canteen cup and a small kettle w/lid. I'll keep the Esbit in the daypack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE