Does anyone knows how to tie the Tarp Taut Hitch used By Ray Mears in his book E .B?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hi Everyone,

RE: How to Tie The Tarp Taut Hitch used by R.M??

I have been trying to tie the Tarp Taut Hitch for a while now, and i havent been successful so far, Does anyone knows how to tie the knot?. Also been looking at a few sites as well but the end results is not very clear as well.

I do not have a problem with the Evenk Slippery Figure- Of -Eight Hitch!

Any help or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
The interceptor boy

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
round turn and 2 half hitches much easier.

You're right but the Taut Tarp Hitch allows you to tension the ridge line very easily.

A useful knot to learn. A little tip if it's raining is to put a twig through the bight after you pass it through at the end of tying the knot. Then pull the free end so the twig locks the knot. This way it shouldn't come loose if you haven't quite got it right or the rope is slippery when you apply load. To undo just pull out the twig (or snap it at the knot) and tug on the free end as normal.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
The knot I use for this task (tensioned lines) is the adjustable grip hitch - very easy to tie, and can be tied quick-release (if you use a loop instead of an end at the final step).

I've got so used to tying it that I tend to use it for almost any situation where I'm tying loops in lines, as you never know when you might need to adjust it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adjustable_grip_hitch

Just goes to show, there's more than one way to knot it! :)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Match I agree with you there mate. I like that knot but do you have problems with it in the wet?
Not talking about the knot undoing but difficult to slide the knot up the line?
As for the Outdoor Idiots guide I must be a real idiot as I find that ....well not easy to follow!
Found it better the way Falcon posted a link up for in another thread.
Dave

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Thanks Very Much Everybody For Replying To My Thread! Already Know And Mastered The Truckethanks Very Much Everybody For Replying To My Thread! Already Know And Mastered The Truckers Knot. Thank You All>rs Knot. Thank You All>thanks Very Much Everybody For Replying To My Thread! Already Know And Mastered The Truckers Knot. Thank You All>thanks Very Much Everybody For Replying To My Thread! Already Know And Mastered The Truckers Knot. Thank You All>thanks Very Much Everybody For Replying To My Thread! Already Know And Mastered The Truckers Knot. Thank You All>thanks Very Much Everybody For Replying To My Thread! Already Know And Mastered The Truckers Knot. Thank You All>thanks Very Much Everybody For Replying To My Thread! Already Know And Mastered The Truckers Knot. Thank You All>

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE