Does anyone know where to get potassium permanganate??

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
Does anyone where to get any potassium permanganate?

The last time I was able to I got it from Boots but they no longer stock it.:(

I find it to be extremely useful as it has many uses including fire lighting, medical, water purification and marking locations.

livefast999

Aug 12, 2008
uk
Last time I got some was from the chemist.

They usually ask why you want it.

I just say for water purification when I'm camping.

HTH

Bumpy

Forager
Apr 18, 2008
West Yorkshire
I can recommend Toddy's suggestion - I have bought from them and was happy with their service.
I think you will struggle to buy potasium permanganate from any chemist now. I had tried a couple of months ago - and visited about 20 chemists in and around the local area. Eventually I was advised by a pharmacist that it had been withdrawn from sale on the advise of government. The line went that there were plenty of other preparations for fungal problems such as athletes foot (although more expensive!), and that there was too high a risk that some people may want to exploit it's oxidizing properties to create explosions and/or fires (mixing with glycerine etc), and so that while the "terrorist threat" remained it was unlikely to ever return to sale over the counter...
Don't know how true that was, but it made sense to me, and I have still not found it in any chemist - only online...:(

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Terrorist threat sounds very credible, though of course local chemists seem to stock less and less these days as the supermarkets take over.

Those terrorists certainly live up to there name, whilst there are only (mercifully) a few of them, and few real incidents in the UK, they have deprived us of centuries old freedoms, and made us all suspects in our own land.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
ebay is your friend.

Look under koi carp

looks like i'm a bit slow off the mark.

Actually the ebay stuff is better quality than I used to get from my local chemist. Finer crystals react faster. I guess its the greater surface area.

Last edited:

MickG

Forager
Feb 2, 2009
Blackwood South Wales
Just checked ebay as it is used for ponds
The safety instructions mention skin contact, burning ,itching etc
Is this in undiluted liquid?
My dad used this in grain form diluted in water to soak his feet for athleats foot from boots getting wet in the mine ,left feet dark brown for days
I have a small tub 60 grams from Boots course grains,Its years old but have not tried it for fire lighting or water purification
It is marked Oxidising & Harmfull
Contact with combustable material may cause fire
Harmfull if swallowed
What amount would be safe in a Ltr of water for drinking and skin use?
Mick

mark wood

Forager
Jul 25, 2004
Newcastle
I remember a letter in good old S.W.A.T. magazine from the Royal Society of Chemists who were asked to comment on the effectiveness of Potassium Permanganate as a steriliser. They couldn't find any studies but reckoned it wouldn't be very effective if there was any organic material in the solution. I'd only use it as a back-up, and on pretty clear water!

Rob

Need to contact Admin...
A friendly chemist is the way forward - I have a great one near me - but then again they know that I am strange with some of the scripts that I take in when I am off on overseas trips and some of the meds that I take in for disposal.

It is more common that you will be offered tablets these days - which arent that great when compared to the crystals. The finer the crystals the better - surface area to volume ratio - but nothing wrong wih crushing what you have up before you use it.

Retardant versions are being used a lot now - which cuts down on usefulness when it comes to fire - but I dont suggest that you ask if this is the case when you order - it is cheap. so buy and try before you fill your boots :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE