Does anybody use a Workmate?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
I have had one of these for a very long time now - slightly smaller surface, but can be clamped onto another table to make a more comfortable working height, and has a tool box underneath :)
2_64835412.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
A Zyliss Vice is better than a workmate in my opinion and they turn up on Ebay often enough at reasonable prices, you just have to take your time and snipe one.

They were called Zyliss Vices but have been re branded with the Z vise name to appeal to the American market (complete with American spelling) but they have been made for years and sell quite cheap.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Get an old one-mines probably one of the first and has outlived all the others-its bombproof.

As others have said, the cheap ones should be left in the shop.

I agree, the original can't be beaten. Once they started to cut production costs they lost the "kill proof" robustness.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
A Zyliss Vice is better than a workmate in my opinion and they turn up on Ebay often enough at reasonable prices, you just have to take your time and snipe one.

They were called Zyliss Vices but have been re branded with the Z vise name to appeal to the American market (complete with American spelling) but they have been made for years and sell quite cheap.

Great if you already have a bench to attach it to

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Yep, another firm believer here!

I use my B&D not as much as I should, because I have to use it outside, but I wouldn't want to go without!

Rothley Bill

Forager
Aug 11, 2008
Rothley, Leicestershire
Yes i also have one its about 10 years old now and is used all over the house and in my workshop if I need the extra bench space. The best use I get from it is outside at sales and wood fairs. I have a couple of vices one a carpenters and one a mechanics bolted to a piece of ply with a batten underneath. this does several things it lifts up the vice to my height and i can change the vice to siut the type of job I am doing.

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
they are fantastic! make sure it is black and decker, sturdy as anything, i have handled axes and sledge hammers on mine, if it can take that, it can take anything. when buying one make sure to look at what top it has, chipboard ones dont like water very much, mdf ones are flimsy and wont stand up to much, the plyboard ones are great and i used one of them for ages, but my latest one tops them all by far, its a bamboo top, made from lots of strips of bamboo all put together, very very very solid :)

and here's a link to be helping you:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p68440 (that is the bamboo one)

ATB,
TJ

I

IBrown

I've had mine for about 20+ years and I have done everything with it made knives to rebuilding our kitchen. Great piece of kit.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've had mine for about 20+ years and I have done everything with it made knives to rebuilding our kitchen. Great piece of kit.

Mine's got to be at least 25 years old... has a plywood worktop that's solid as you can ask for. Great bit of kit and you can't really fault them

rimmer

Apr 1, 2010
eastsussex
i used one for 2 years and atached my vice
if you want tools try boot sales and as a rule the oldest thing you can fined is the best qualaty

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Ive got two that live in the garden and take shedloads of abuse.

Ive stood boats on them, engines, outboards, doors, you name it....

I dont like the vices on mine, probably because they have warped from the weather. I would strap a bench vice on it if I needed anything held tightly, or just do it in the kitchen, where I have a wooden bench with vice.

No Idea

Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
12 stone end of boat on the workbench..

308.jpg

309.jpg

Same bench being used to wind fibreglass spinnaker poles..

4380.jpg

Using it to angle grind rudders to shape..

a-dsc06603.jpg

Holding it while fibreglassing..

a-dsc06633.jpg

This bench has really taken some abuse..

a-dsc06946.jpg

Here its holding a strip being routed.

b-dscf3966.jpg

From the one with the boat on it, to the last ones covers a period of 3 years. The bench was already a decade or so old.

My kids have just used it to build another couple of canoes since then.

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've got one thats about 15 years old and still works as good today as the day mmy dad got it.

I've used it to make a couple of Enzo's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE