Does anybody make Blackthorn sticks?

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I,ve had a couple of sticks seasoning for a while and was going to attempt one ,any pointers?The sticks i have are the reddish /brown colour and not the black but i understand they can be stained,what is used for this?

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
in the past I've stained my sticks with various stains and then lacquered with any good varnish regards dave

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
the old irish way of hardening blackthorn fighting sticks and shillelagh was to coat them in butter and put them up the chimney for 6 months! this would gradually dry, harden and give them that lovely black patina. :) i have an original club from circa 1835 with carvings of a harp, shamrock, wings of a peace dove and the word Erin, very nice piece of family history

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Oh yes i will be there. Would have liked to make WRW this weekend but SHE has a photoshoot booked for the family.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Have a look at a website called "the stickman' which is basically the site of a shop run by a walking stick maker name of Keith Pickering. It's very informative and even has a popular forum all about making sticks (funnily enough!).
Sorry ,but being a luddite, linky things have left me behind...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE