Does anybody know much about digiscoping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have a scope set up in my house and get amazing views of the wild life around me all throughout the day and sure wished i had something to photograph the things I see.

Someone mentioned a technique called digiscoping which means you can fit a camera to the scope and I was hoping somebody here might have experience of this.

My question is:

Does digiscoping produce images that are as good as what you can see through the scope?

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I imagine so...

I did microscopy (?) at college we hooked up a camera to a microscope and took pics, it was odd to say the least. I know i's not the same but in principle it should work.

If you do manage to get it working, please post some photographs here :D

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Absolutely. The amount of things I've been watching is like having my own private Springwatch tv show.

In the last couple of weeks I've seen a deer giving birth to two fawns.
The resident fox several times including his stand-offs with the Canada geese as they protect their young.
Badgers in daylight - 2pm.
Last night I saw the same mother deer, but she's only got the one fawn now. I reckon the fox had the other.
Every time I look out of the window, something is out there no matter what part of the day it is.

Biggest prize would be to get a photo of wild boar, there have been a few sightings of them.

Jan 18, 2009
Northern Ireland
Hi. I also do a bit of this kinda stuff but only for the nightsky.

It's also known as Astrophotography. I bought an adapter off Evilbay to fit my Nikon D40 onto my Meade ETX Telescope for about 30 quid.

A good selection of various camera-to-telescope adapters can be found at ...

http://www.srb-griturn.com/

Look through the link for the section on digiscoping.

Some great shots can be produced with this set up.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Alan.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I've only got a Practika compact digital camera, could I use that?

I've have got a Canon EOS 600 film camera but I'm not very skilled at using it.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
London Camera Exchange have a daughter website dedicated to digiscoping:

http://www.digiscoping.co.uk/

I too would like to get a system set up, but I can't justify the expense at the moment (landy just had a £800 service :eek: , plus I'm looking at getting a good macro lens for my dSLR).

Intertidal

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I've only got a Practika compact digital camera, could I use that?

I've have got a Canon EOS 600 film camera but I'm not very skilled at using it.

Thinking about it, It's doubtful you could use a point and shoot, you need an SLR, the mount will lock onto the eyepiece of the scope and then onto the lens aperture of the SLR... You can pick up a used DSLR off evil bay cheaply now.

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
Thinking about it, It's doubtful you could use a point and shoot, you need an SLR, the mount will lock onto the eyepiece of the scope and then onto the lens aperture of the SLR... You can pick up a used DSLR off evil bay cheaply now.

Thanks for that Bushwaker. I was wondering how one connected the camera to it. Another tick for the old SLR.

If your using films which ASA would you use - 1000, or doesnt that matter?

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've done it with a point and shoot just holding it lens to lens.

Better to get a bracket for holding the camera though.

I'll need to give it a go again.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE