Do you use different coloured bottles for your different fuels

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Do you use different coloured bottles for your different fuels

I try to make sure that bottles are distinctly different from each other ~ including water and p.
The MSR bottles have a different cap shape to the vintage ali trangia and the modern trangia is, again, very different. My all steel water bottle has a nipple and retainer chain on the top of the cap which is shaped different ~ my small water bottle has a leather jacket and synthetic thonging. And the p bottle has a wasp waist.

Sometimes it helps to be able to tell the difference in the dark :cool: .

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
How do you get wood in a bottle? :D

I only use one liquid fuel (meths) - and very rarely as I rely on wood fires most of the time - and it goes in a sigg type that is green or red, water goes in MOD, patterned or retro Sigg type bottles.... the P bottle is a Nalgene covered in Haz tape!
There is no way to get my bottles mixed up

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Why don't you boys pee in the woods rather than a bottle!?

Thanks for the info. I've got two red. One has a pressure valve, the other doesn't. Which is best for paraffin and which for the meths?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Why don't you boys pee in the woods rather than a bottle!?

You're young, aren't you? :)

Thanks for the info. I've got two red. One has a pressure valve, the other doesn't. Which is best for paraffin and which for the meths?

Neither paraffin nor meths will build up a particularly high pressure in their containers, so you should be all right with either. Are you sure it's a pressure valve? No idea if the bottles are even suitable for fuel unless they're, well, fuel bottles. The red colour doesn't automatically make them fuel bottles. I have a couple of Trangia fuel bottles -- they're red -- which have a cap with a valve designed to make it easer to pour the fuel without spilling it. It isn't a pressure valve. Nice idea, but it doesn't really work so I only use them for fuels which don't leave an awful smell on things if you spill them. IMO the liquid fuels that leave the least unpleasant smell are some alcohols and the Coleman-type fuels. Aviation spirit is pretty good but you need a licence to buy it. :)

For water storage I mostly use the PET bottles that contain carbonated drinks in any supermarket. Little risk of confusing it with a fuel bottle, even lying flat on my face in the dark after falling out of a hammock, a lot lighter than any Sigg or lookalike and probably more useful.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I've got two red. One has a pressure valve, the other doesn't. Which is best for paraffin and which for the meths?

For Paraffin / kerosene / Avtur you need a strong bottle with a very good seal. A SIGG / MSR fuel bottle is ideal more so if you replace the seal it comes with with a Nitrile O ring of the correct size. Also a small funnel makes refueling stoves simple and you don't risk overfilling as much and wasting fuel through spillage etc.

Kerosene etc stinks if you spill it on kit and does not evaporate away.

For Coleman fuel etc again a SIGG / MSR bottle is ideal.

Meths... As a main fuel I use the Trangia bottles as they are OK. Meths for a priming fuel I use a Nalgene bottle with a Squirt lid fitted.. It works well.

HTH

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
used to use a red fuel bottle for meths but it was the same size and shape as my water bottle one night in band camp after a few scoops i took a gulp of meths at 3am (coloured bottles are the same colour in the dark)

lesson learned (and a sleepless night of thinking i had poisoned myself) i now use the meths bottle it comes in with its child lock top :D

wolflore

Tenderfoot
Jun 1, 2005
Twickenham
Ged, John,

I see where your coming from now with the pee bottles!

Johnboy,

I have exactly that configuration at the moment. The Trangia fuel bottle holds the Meths, my other is a SIGG 1.5. Cheers for that. I'll look out for a nitrile washer ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE