do kids make dens anymore?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nyayo

Forager
Jun 9, 2005
Gone feral...
Took our Y6 class up a peak district hill on Friday, had lunch on top, then made dens in the woods with 70 kids - I'd issued each group leader with string, bungees and tarps - amazing how much fun kids could have just sitting under a tarp out of the July drizzle...

N

K

kentynet

I'm a teen and when I was a kid all the kids on our street went making dens. They were in woody areas and one I made was under some raised foundations of my dads old pigeon cote. What a ace shelter that was... about 2 meters of headroom.

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
I have been taking my 7 & 9yr old daughters to the New Forest a lot over the last few weekends and they have a den made before I have the tent up. I just give them a ball of garden twine and my folding saw and off they go.They love it and are on a day's bushcraft course in Moors Park next week.
I don't know who is more excited, the kids or me. I am spending the day at Go Ape whilst they learn shelter making, tracking and a few other bits. They both asked for their own knives last weekend so my wife and I have promised them a pocket knife each ASAP.
Who needs boys to have fun in the woods

stijnb

Tenderfoot
Mar 11, 2008
nederland
i use d to build alot of things, including dens and rafts as a kid, and that isn't even that long ago.
We were also doing dangerous things with bikes on ramps we've built and all that sort of things, now the only thing most kids do outside is playing football(and that also seems to be on the decrease\)

last year the electricity failed in a part of the country(netherlands) the schools where closed and the kids where asked for their opinion, they found it terrible becouse they couldn't play on their playcube480 :O:O:O

well most adults are just as spoiled, they complained about that the government didn't give everyone a generator ^o) :O

Praetorian

Aug 1, 2008
West Midlands, U.K.
My three kids love building dens, always at it.
I've just built a shed in the back garden. I'd got as far as laying the base and my boys were already planning on having a sleepover in there when I'd finished the build.

I've just become a commitee member of the local beavers, cubs and scouts group and am trying to organise a den building competition for them. Hopefully I should get an enthusiastic response.
Seems a shame that they seem to do nothing more than playing murder ball week in week out, which although good for teamwork and fitness, I'm hoping to try and reduce in favour of more scouty sort of activities.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE