Do i need to take knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 22, 2010
uk
Well thanks for the welcome and all your detailed replies.
I'll take one for food prep and cutting up sticks. Might get that Mora clipper, I've had my eye on it a while but don't want to look a chump cos i can't use it.
I Think i'll be cooking with a hobo stove i made (are you allowed fires? or do you have to use gas?) and eating noodles, salami, whiskey, and other easy boil up water type stuff.
We're probably in a tent too.

And seeing as we're already wildly off topic, is there anywhere good between say Somerset and West Sussex where you can camp where you feel like and get to some serious rambling?

Well thanks for the welcome and all your detailed replies.
I'll take one for food prep and cutting up sticks. Might get that Mora clipper, I've had my eye on it a while but don't want to look a chump cos i can't use it.
I Think i'll be cooking with a hobo stove i made (are you allowed fires? or do you have to use gas?) and eating noodles, salami, whiskey, and other easy boil up water type stuff.
We're probably in a tent too.

And seeing as we're already wildly off topic, is there anywhere good between say Somerset and West Sussex where you can camp where you feel like and get to some serious rambling?

There are moots being held locally in a week or two, why not turn up there? They're all good fella's.
Probably learn a bit too.
Where are you from? Be more specific and you my get some help from a local bushy person

Last edited:

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hey ,
If you decide to take a fixed/lockable , Just use it in your camp and you should be fine , you'll find out if you need it . I wouldn't wander about with it though - other people can be a bit unreasonable .
But as others have said some kind of SAK/Multitool is/becomes part of life , you will wonder how you got by without one .
Cheers ,Trev.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I never leave my bedroom without one!
As soon as I am dressed I am carrying a UK legal penknife in my trouser pocket, possibly 2 and or a Leatherman!
Indespensable tools for a miriad of tasks...though I dont use one for firelighting...a custom flint and steel do that :)

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
You sound as if you dont need a knife for what you do. But.... the ability to cut stuff is always useful.A small pair of folding scissors often does me for most cutting on a walk.
Kitchen scissors are very adaptable to a variety of tasks as previously noted. You can buy scissors that separate to give a knife type single blade tool. You can cut stuff with saws :--even the short bit sometimes attached to a fire steel .But ...Oh sod it! a SAK covers so many bases and can still be street legal so it has to be a no brainer.I must point out however that this reasoned and logical train of thought has not stopped me amassing a collection of shiny pointy edged things some of which rarely get out of the house and some of which would probably get me arrested if i went out for the evening carrying them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE