DMT Hones and Stropping Paste.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
ALL HONES NOW SOLD

I sharpened a knife with my DMT's for my gunsmith the other day. He was so impressed that he agreed to take all the extra hones off me as a generous deposit on my now eagerly awaited Sako .270. :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to one or two folks not being able to get to the Moot and attend my sharpening workshops there I have a few odd DMT Hones and some Stropping Paste left.
Rather than have to take up my "sale or return" option with the supplier, I'm now offering these hones for sale here first. Prices are different to those quoted for those at the Moot as I'm having to incorporate Paypal fees and P+P costs but these are still cheaper than you're ever likely to find them anywhere else.

I have for sale....

2 x Coarse / Fine Diafolds.................. £30 each, delivered.

2 x Set of DMT Mini Hones (Coarse, Fine and Extra Fine)............ £25 each set, delivered.

Add £5 to the above prices and I'll include a stick of Honing (Stropping) Paste and one of the small rigid strops I made for the Moot workshop to your package.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Mike, The Diafolds have a sharpening area of 4 3/8" by 7/8" and are double sided (hence the two different grits). The sharpening surfaces fold away into the plastic handles in the same way a butterfly knife folds up.
The Mini Hones have a sharpening area of 2 1/2" by 3/4" each. The handles are fixed, and make the hones about 7" long overall.
The rigid strops are 9" by 1 1/4".

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
No problems fellas.
Hope you get on Ok with it Chas.
Mike, your PM replied to and details passed on.
List of available hones in first post ammended due to sales made.

Gorilla, I'd do a tuorial but I'm no good with the pictures side of things, and to try and explain it all without piccies would make it about 3 pages long. One day I'll master these computer thingies and get the job sorted. Catch up with me at a Moot or similar and I'll happily show what I know.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Arrived yesterday, used last night!!!
Even my SAK shaves perfectly after a few minutes on the diafold and strop.
My WS Bushie has never been so sharp!
I've used a belt to strop before but not a rigid strop, what a difference.
Believe it or not my barber suggested a rigid strop, that is what he was taught to use on a none hollow ground straight razor! The flexible strop is best for hollow grinds apparently!!:Wow:

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I'm glad you're getting on Ok with it all Mike. :35:

If (when) the strop builds up a layer of black mucky compound you can scrape it clean with the back of your blade if it's a nice sharp grind (like you need for striking ferro rods) or do as I do and scrape the muck off with a Stanley knife blade held in the hand. It's not worth doing this until the layer of muck gets thick enough to start flaking off when you use the strop, but after that it helps a lot.

The strop can easily be replaced altogether with any piece of not-too-soft leather glued skin-side down onto a strip of MDF or plywood. The strop I use at home is over 2 feet long and a couple of inches wide. Made of 15mm MDF and covered with the same leather as the little strops I made for the Moot workshop, it must be on about it's 10th piece of replacement leather by now.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE