DIY Underquilt Help

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Hi Guys,

I have had a quick search for a DIY underquilt, and there are plenty of examples but no tutorials, just wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of a tutorial of how to make one? and i'm guessing the best way to do it would be to use an old sleeping bag? I have an old summer bag that never gets used and compacts tiny so I think it would be useable as an underquilt? I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance
Bushcraftsman

Col_M

Jun 17, 2010
London and Devon
are you thinking of synthetic or down?

There are many well written guides on hammockforums in the DIY section - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85

I've made a couple down under quilts and a down top quilt. They really aren't hard to make, it's more the time and patience, essentially they're just a couple sheets of material with baffles sewn between and then the edges are rolled and seamed. The hardest thing is calculating the baffle height, down needed and seam allowances but even that is relatively straight forward.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
well the sleeping bag I have in mind to use is a synthetic one. And you may have to elaborate more on the terms you used such as baffles and baffle height...I'm a total newb when it comes to this sort of thing. Thanks for the link ill check that out now

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Echo the above, If your modding a sleeping bag, forget about baffles and such. Check out Hammock Forums and their stickies on quilts.

Its quite straightforward once you get your teeth into it, you'll honestly probably struggle more trying to get your machine to work with the different fabric thicknesses initially. Stick with it, buy Gutterman thread and proper Schmetz machine needles and your half-way there.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
Echo the above, If your modding a sleeping bag, forget about baffles and such. Check out Hammock Forums and their stickies on quilts.

Its quite straightforward once you get your teeth into it, you'll honestly probably struggle more trying to get your machine to work with the different fabric thicknesses initially. Stick with it, buy Gutterman thread and proper Schmetz machine needles and your half-way there.

I dont have a sewing machine so this will all be done by hand! will it still be alright?

Rectangular is easier to convert into an underquilt. Possible with mummy bag but more cutting required and skill with sewing

hmmm i may have an old rectangular one somewhere as well... i'll have to have a look. why is the rectangular one easier?

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
As long as you have the patience and I wish I had, nothing wrong with hand sewing at all :) You'll certainly find it miles simpler.

It drives me insane :lmao:

Personally I'm quite happy sewing at 70mph all day though on the 'thread injector'.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
As long as you have the patience and I wish I had, nothing wrong with hand sewing at all :) You'll certainly find it miles simpler.

It drives me insane :lmao:

Personally I'm quite happy sewing at 70mph all day though on the 'thread injector'.

well unfortunately it's my only option as dont have a machine...so i'll have to learn the patience!! :lmao:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
well unfortunately it's my only option as dont have a machine...so i'll have to learn the patience!! :lmao:

In that case, machines are rubbish! Hand sewing rules! :D

Good job you aren't going to stitch one from new, it'd take quite a while.

Modding an existing bag won't be too bad at all in all honesty.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE