DIY Portage Trolley (canoe trolley)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
PortageTrolley1.jpg

I was shocked by the cost of a Portage Trolley for my first canoe so I thought, 'I can make one cheaper'.​

I also like the idea of multi-uses items so I based it on one of those backpack stools.

Costs are:

£5.99 for the backpack stool.
the pneumatic wheels where the most expensive at £9.99 each (they are Eckla's e.g. the same company that makes to expensive trolley)
A couple of quid for the 20mm aluminium tube and some 5mm machine bolts, eye bolts and wing nuts.

What do you think?

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
janiepopps said:
Blimey - thats fab!

Are you taking orders??? ;)

j

Hey it took 40 mins top's and that was due to the fact that I could not find my drill vice and had to clamp and tape every drilling. It would not to feel right to take your money :D

I could have made it cheaper if I had wanted to go to a scrappy to find a small kid bike for the wheels but brookbank was just down the road from where I work and I thought I might need it on Saturday.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Well I'm still impressed (I know - it doesn't take much!)

I'm actually being premature coz I don't have my own boat yet - I'm doing my BCU 1* next weekend, and then, funds allowing, they'll be no stopping me! :D

j

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
janiepopps said:
Well I'm still impressed (I know - it doesn't take much!)

I'm actually being premature coz I don't have my own boat yet - I'm doing my BCU 1* next weekend, and then, funds allowing, they'll be no stopping me! :D

j

I did it the other way round. I bought the canoe and Saturday was the first time I ever set foot into an open canoe in my life! I have a way to go before I will be going for my 1*.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Fantastic! How did you get on?? Where did you paddle?

I love Canadians - there is nothing so good as pootling down a river, wildlife all around, no noise, fumes, emits, phones (shall I go on?!?). The most stress you have to deal with is where to stop for a brew and where to pitch up for the night...

Hmmmm, i'm feeling a wee bit jealous right now :rolleyes:

Would love to see pics of your boat.

j

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
janiepopps said:
Fantastic! How did you get on?? Where did you paddle?

I love Canadians - there is nothing so good as pootling down a river, wildlife all around, no noise, fumes, emits, phones (shall I go on?!?). The most stress you have to deal with is where to stop for a brew and where to pitch up for the night...

Hmmmm, i'm feeling a wee bit jealous right now :rolleyes:

Would love to see pics of your boat.

j

It was on the river Ancholme at Brigg. Eric C and his Partner on SotP offered some free training sessions for members and I took them up on it on Saturday.

My canoe is nothing special its just a Pelican Colarado that costco are selling at under £300 inc. VAT! Most place sell them for £499 and they go for more than £300 for secondhand on evilbay!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE