DIY folding hammock stand

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Hi, lately I have been working on my hammock stand, which is completely fold-able, and easy to move due to the wheels.
When I was browsing around for idea's, I didn't find any stand that was completely folded, always some part was sticking out.
So I thought I will share mine here with you, maybe someone finds it useful.

Completely folded:
hammock_stand_1.jpg

Opened:
hammock_stand_2.jpg

The Making Of:
[video]https://youtu.be/MSf-R_Nb6h4[/video]

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Yes and no, i made a complete drawing of a slightly different version, but when I was about to start sawing all the wood, i changed the design to this version.
So from this final version, no drawing exists yet.
I do get a lot of questions about sizes etc, so tonight or tomorrow I will make a plan and put it online on my blog, where people can copy it from.

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
That is one cool lump of kit. At a guess I would say the long piece is 2.4m , B&Q sell wood 2.4 m long...... a bundle of 8 cost......

PLANS we need PLANS sir, please

dabberty

Tenderfoot
@ Hammock_man, my bad, blog is here:
http://dabberty.com/?p=2479
Everything is in cm's. Make sure to have straight wood, otherwise you can not fold it much. Also watch for the knots in the wood. It took me quite a while to find all straight ones with the lowest amount of knots in the hardware shop.

@ GadgetUK437, It's there as well already :) That's where all my diy hammock stuff started many years ago for me, so I definitely give back my idea's for the others.

@ Janne, don;t worry, it's just 1 click away, and i don't have any adds, commercials, memberships, don't make any money of it, etc, etc. Just a simple place where i share my hike trips and DIY stuff.

Last edited:

Kooga

Jul 22, 2015
Sussex
This is great dabberty. You set me off on a little research mission already!
I've been looking to buy/build something like this for my mam as she wants to hammock in her garden.

How narrow do you reckon one could go with the timber? I can't seem to find anything between 47x47mm and 70x70mm. I figure 47mm is liable to flex under strain but 70mm is gonna end up pretty hefty.

dabberty

Tenderfoot
Hello Kooga, if you wood take stronger wood then 47mm would be fine, but it will be heavy as well. Indeed a "turtlelady" or "turtledog" version could be lighter. I made long time ago a "turtlelady" version from 2.5 cm thick bamboo, and it was so..so.. ok. If you can find something of around 4 cm bamboo or use alu poles, you're good to go as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kooga

Jul 22, 2015
Sussex
Thanks dabberty & Gadget. I had considered a turtledog and may end up going for this after all... but I just love the 'foldability' of your invention dabberty. I'll look into stronger woods...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE