DIY fire-starting tinder?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Garnett

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
London, UK
Until recently I didn't usually carry tinder (and in my head, I think I've scoffed at it/felt it was cheating a bit) but occasionally I like to shave flakes off a magnesium block as part of getting a fire started.

I feel like I'm getting a bit lazy in my old age, and will take a few of those firestarters that are wood shavings covered in wax. The other day I saw someone say they packed a small bag of magnesium flakes mixed with a few other ingredients, and it made me think that would make a lot of sense.

Does anyone "roll their own" like this, and if so, what do you put in the mix?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I make tinder bundles. Pretty sure there are photos somewhere on the site.

You could just smear some vaseline on a couple of make up cotton pads and put them into a wee ziplock bag though.
Pretty much a guaranteed start regardless of the weather.

Astrochicken

Jan 15, 2024
LLanrwst
I've been making a tin of items to include in my kit for fire-starting and have made a waxed pad format to help with widening the window for tinder to catch from sparking a ferro-rod. I make a mineral oil-beeswax paste, and whilst warm I dip plain cotton makeup pads in and let them cool on greaseproof paper. When cooled they are easy to handle and I can shred one easily to reveal a cotton/wax fibre which I make into a birds nest to take a spark. I have added a short length of cotton rope in the kit and can pull pieces of this out to help with the birds nest too. I've been debating whether to either add something to the wax, or perhaps to press shaved ferro-rod / magnesium into the waxed disc, as this might help with ferro-sparks transferring better into the birds nest. It might be overkill, but I mostly keep this kit for if the weather isn't great or if there is a lot of moisture in the air.

Overall though the kit is effective and quite compact and lightweight, and is very easy and cost effective to make. A small amount of wax and oil made 20 discs, which should do between 20 and 40 fires (depending on how much you need to pull apart for fire-starting). I got some aluminium tins online and can simply swap out a tin as I use the discs.

Reactions: Garnett

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
If magnesium block is acceptable then why not use scrapings from a magnesium pencil sharpener and shavings from a stick made with the same sharpener.

Or
A small bottle of meths

Or
Cotton wool balls all on their own. I’ve used those in rain without problems.
I also use paper handkerchiefs and one of those shredded at the centre to expose fibres works fine.

Or
…….. here I go again. I’ve been camping half a dozen trips so far this year and cotton wool has served me well…..
but…. Just in case, I carry bush candles: Tea-lights with a slice of toilet roll cardboard pushed in while melted and a pinch of cotton wool in the centre. You can light those with any method you like.
IMG_6757.jpeg
This little tin holds 5 and I’ve only used one this year as a demo.
(pic shows one folded for transport and one opened up for use.)

With all the above options I haven’t been let down by a simple cotton wool ball.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Until recently I didn't usually carry tinder (and in my head, I think I've scoffed at it/felt it was cheating a bit) but occasionally I like to shave flakes off a magnesium block as part of getting a fire started.

I feel like I'm getting a bit lazy in my old age, and will take a few of those firestarters that are wood shavings covered in wax. The other day I saw someone say they packed a small bag of magnesium flakes mixed with a few other ingredients, and it made me think that would make a lot of sense.

There nothing cheating in being prepared. I mostly do whatever is easiest, uses the least resources and energy. That said I know how to gather and prepare a wild tinder bundle and I can make a bow drill to ignite it. For me i like to have both options. x

Last edited:

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
I bought a rod of pure magnesium off eBay very cheaply as it was sold as lab supplies, not with the “bushcraft premium”. I’ve made a lot of scrapings of it stored in a little plastic stoppered vial which slots neatly in my fire kit pouch (NVA grenade pouch). I also collected a large of bullrushes fluff and another bag of cotton fluff (can’t remember correct name) off some moorland although I’ve not had great success with it, need to experiment a bit more.

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
I also collected a large of bullrushes fluff and another bag of cotton fluff (can’t remember correct name) off some moorland although I’ve not had great success with it, need to experiment a bit more.

Try putting it in a gauze bag like the ones that they sell to put loose veg in at the supermarket and sticking it in the oven at about 50C. (Well below boiling) for half an hour then seal in an airtight container.
The bag stops the seeds blowing about in your oven, particularly a fan oven!

In the past I’ve done the same with old char-cotton that’s absorbed moisture. I don’t carry char-cotton now; waste of time and effort if you ask me.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
I bought a rod of pure magnesium off eBay very cheaply as it was sold as lab supplies, not with the “bushcraft premium”. I’ve made a lot of scrapings of it stored in a little plastic stoppered vial which slots neatly in my fire kit pouch (NVA grenade pouch). I also collected a large of bullrushes fluff and another bag of cotton fluff (can’t remember correct name) off some moorland although I’ve not had great success with it, need to experiment a bit more.
Yeh maaan! you cant beat an NVA grenade pouch :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
See, I've never read the rule book; I've never even seen a rule book. So, in my opinion, the best way to start a fire is the quickest and most reliable, based on need. A group, cold, wet, and hungry needing warmth and food - firelighters and a flamethrower lighter; a group interested in learning primitive skills, I go for bow drill and something like scraped birch bark.

Yes, practice makes perfect, but I know how to light a fire, I don't need to prove it to myself every time :)

Ystranc

Settler
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
If you’re using a ferrocerium stick you could do worse than carry a pencil sharpener drilled so that it hangs off the ferro rod’s lanyard. Snap off a dead pine or birch twig (pencil thickness) as you’re passing, a few twists of the pencil sharpener and hey presto, instant tinder…far quicker than shaving a magna-strike block and you never run out of twigs.

Reactions: Garnett and Toddy

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Yeh maaan! you cant beat an NVA grenade pouch :)
My favourite, a perfect size, I have another for my bicycle with a selection of tools in. Also have an, think, NVA ammo pouch with an assortment of spoon carving knives, strops and stones, it’s got a very handy little side pocket that has a Casstrom strop and a Fallkniven CC4 stone in it. Really like the Strichtarn pattern so I also got 4 poncho tarps as well. :)

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
If you’re using a ferrocerium stick you could do worse than carry a pencil sharpener drilled so that it hangs off the ferro rod’s lanyard. Snap off a dead pine or birch twig (pencil thickness) as you’re passing, a few twists of the pencil sharpener and hey presto, instant tinder…far quicker than shaving a magna-strike block and you never run out of twigs.
Keep meaning to get one.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
Try putting it in a gauze bag like the ones that they sell to put loose veg in at the supermarket and sticking it in the oven at about 50C. (Well below boiling) for half an hour then seal in an airtight container.
The bag stops the seeds blowing about in your oven, particularly a fan oven!

In the past I’ve done the same with old char-cotton that’s absorbed moisture. I don’t carry char-cotton now; waste of time and effort if you ask.
I recently transferred them to another bag, they seemed bone dry as quite a bit of dust came off, I’ll try lighting them again and try that if they’re still not working.

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
My favourite, a perfect size, I have another for my bicycle with a selection of tools in. Also have an, think, NVA ammo pouch with an assortment of spoon carving knives, strops and stones, it’s got a very handy little side pocket that has a Casstrom strop and a Fallkniven CC4 stone in it. Really like the Strichtarn pattern so I also got 4 poncho tarps as well. :)
have u got a photo x

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

A make up cotton wool pad dipped 2/3 of the way into candle wax works well. Using a fire striker to light the wool, the waxed part burns quite merrily for quite a while. Long enough to get a fire going.

That or carry some cotton pads and a tin of vaseline, dip the pad into the vaseline and that'll burn well too.

Cheers
Andy

crlthrn

Jul 19, 2024
UK

I think 'pre-shredded' magnesium flakes would oxidise pretty quickly. My Mg block that I've had for years has a considerable layer of oxidation, and when reactive metals are finely divided they oxidise more easily.

matarius777

Nomad
Aug 29, 2019
Lancaster
have u got a photo x
This is a link to a picture of one but not a great image. Not at home until Tuesday, but will take a better picture when I’m back. It’s just a perfect size for a couple of hook knives, couple of sloyyds, a Puukko or two, a leather thigh protector pad rolled up, and a mini Casstrom double sided strop, and Fallkniven CC4 stone. It’s just the perfect height for all the cutting tools. Actually, there’s enough room for a basic fire kit as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE