DIY fire grill

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm after a fire grill, one of a good size and they are expensive. I came across this at Argos, and was thinking this could be easily modded for the purpose? Cut out a good bit of the centre step and your halfway to a grill

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...>CAMPING.htm

In english its about 18" x 8" x 8" and you could burn off the galvanised coating. Drill holes through both sides and slide some steel tent pegs across to support smaller pots

Any thoughts on this?

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
Unfortunately the link did not work for me so can't see what you have found.
Have you seen the hot pot stands at Ikea etc they are made in stainless steel very solid but quite heavy, come in different sizes and are not that expensive.
grid.jpg

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yeah, link doesn't work for me either.
What about something like a cooling rack for cakes and things? Or perhaps a replacement grill rack?
I would have thought those could be bought from Wilkos quite cheaply.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Try this

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/0195393/Trail/searchtext>CAMPING.htm

I've got a flat grill which works well, I've tried and sold on a Grilliput (not strong enough for my needs) but I want something strong enough for a big pot or two and that is self supporting.

Weight is not an issue because I can't backpack anymore:(

The annoying part is that I can get big, and I mean big ones from the States, cheap as chips, but the postage is sky high:(

I'm supprised that an enterprising member here has not started making these?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

I've got a hanging tripod, lightweight grill on legs, as said, the Grilliput was not up to my needs so I got shot of it

I want a heavy weight grill, self supporting and if I can modify the Argos step it will save 50% on the price from Touring-Gear. Another reason I want self supporting is so that I can put a couple of liquid fuel stoves underneath to make a sort of cooking range for a group :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
I've got a hanging tripod, lightweight grill on legs, as said, the Grilliput was not up to my needs so I got shot of it

I want a heavy weight grill, self supporting and if I can modify the Argos step it will save 50% on the price from Touring-Gear. Another reason I want self supporting is so that I can put a couple of liquid fuel stoves underneath to make a sort of cooking range for a group :)

Ah K.

IKEA also do SS legs, 20cm long for 8 quid, coupled with the trivet (£3.50ish pictured above) might be another option bodge them together.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I'm sure I remember seeing in a post by Woodwilding (?) that she'd used an upturned shopping basket!
Not particularly elegant, but if you're not having to carry it...well, why not?

how about finding a stove rack and cutting it down to a size you want/need that is what I have done, here you can always find a stove someone is throwing out so I have a few stashed away so I can cut them down or not depending on what kit I am putting together...

I just use bolt cutters to cut them down to size.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE