DIY Defender TD5 Servicing Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Given I cannot find a Haynes-like manual for my late 2005 Defender 110 Double Cab XS does anyone have the low down on the servicing basics for changing engine and transmission oils, filters and the belt that drives the alternator and, I assume, the water pump?

A list of tools I'll need would be really helpful too please and will I get away with deploying a Britool 1:4 drive socket set?

Cheers

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
http://www.web-rover.co.uk/images/td5kb/service02my_huge.png

From Web-Rover TD5 servicing schedule for post 02 TD5's.

It amounts to:
Engine Oil - renew every 12k miles
Gearbox Oil (MTF94 or equiv) - renew every 24k miles
Transfer Box Oil - check and top up every 12k miles : renew every 24k miles
Front and Rear Axle Oils - check and top up every 12k miles : renew every 24k miles

1/4" drive socket set is pushing it a little perhaps, depends on how tight everything is done up really. I do know a 1/2" Halfrauds Professional socket set does the job admirably.

There's a Torx bit you'll need for the transfer box filler plug - afraid I don't know which one. The older models have tapered threads on the filler plugs for the gearbox, transfer box and axle which will get stuck in if over-tightened - a torque wrench is advisable for refitting them to the correct tightness.

Last edited:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Given I cannot find a Haynes-like manual for my late 2005 Defender 110 Double Cab XS does anyone have the low down on the servicing basics...

Nice truck. As it's an XS, does it have ABS/TC? Damned near my perfect Deffender that is. :)

Anyway, back to the question.

Difflock do some servicing kits which include all the parts for a full service.

http://shop.difflock.com/defender-service-p-159.html

You will need oil too and the Evolution range they sell is superb.

You will need...

R380 Gearbox: 2.7 litres Evolution One.
LT230 Transfer Gearbox: 2.3 litres Evolution Two.
Front Axle Differential: 1.7 litres Evolution Two.
Rear Axle Differential: 1.7 litres Evolution Two.
Swivel Housings (each side): 0.35 litres Evolution Two.
Wheel Bearings & Propshafts: Purge all old grease and refill with "One Shot" or Long Life Lithium Grease.

Oil Filter
Fuel Filter
Air Filter
Rotor Filter

Probably the only thing you will need to research is the change of the rotor filter as that is a bit weird if you have not encountered it before.

Also, I highly recommend you get a Difflock Drainplug...

http://shop.difflock.com/defender-drainplug-p-40.html

Basically these replace the standard sump plug with a spring operated valve plug. You unscrew the cap and screw in an adapter with a hose attached. As you screw the adapter in, it pushes the valve open and the old engine oil starts to drain down the hose. It makes oil changes very quick, dead simple and mess-free.

landyandy

Tenderfoot
Mar 30, 2009
west yorkshire
Given I cannot find a Haynes-like manual for my late 2005 Defender 110 Double Cab XS does anyone have the low down on the servicing basics for changing engine and transmission oils, filters and the belt that drives the alternator and, I assume, the water pump?

A list of tools I'll need would be really helpful too please and will I get away with deploying a Britool 1:4 drive socket set?

Cheers

hi if you PM me your address i will send you the work shop manual on cd it has it all..andy:drive:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Many thanks for all your help. How can I refuse anylany's offer! PM will be sent ASAP.

It was/is the dual oil filter setup that concerns me most along with re-priming/bleeding requirements of the fuel system after filter change.

Cheers

Don't worry about repriming the fuel system, it does it automatically on the Td5s.

Also, I don't think both oil filters need changing every time, but don't quote me on it - I'm trying to think back to the last time I did mine.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE