DIY coconut snow goggles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
I finally got round making these Inuit style snow goggles out of coconut shell, as I had promised in an earlier thread about the coconut shell fish hook.

I purchased a coconut with a fairly symmetrical curvature and flattish middle bit. With a Dremel tool I cut a section out of the coconut, for the shaping & finishing work I used hand tools (two small files, coarse and fine sandpaper, a wire saw and a Mora knife to make the holes).

I made a series of five holes for each of the eye slits and connected them using the wire saw. Then I sanded the slits to a straight line. After the basic shape was finished I used fine sandpaper to make the surface area smooth and added a bit of oil to polish it. I also made a three hole thingy out of coconut shell to be able to adjust the cord length.

Front:
P1050646.jpg

Inside:
P1050653.jpg

Cord attached:
P1050647.jpg

Cord adjuster thingy:
P1050651.jpg

Me with my usual happy face ;)…
P1050660.jpg

Snow goggles and their coconut mama
P1050643.jpg

The eye slits could have been narrower if I had used the Dremel tool and the overall size is a tad too small (there were only three coconuts too choose from in the supermarket so I took the biggest available) but these snow goggles fit my face well and I'm very content with the end result.

All I need now is a sunny day to test them out, for there is abundant snow cover at the moment here in Holland.

Cheers,

Tom

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Great job. A nice bit of recycling too. When that coconut was little, I bet it never thought it would grow up to be a snow goggle. :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Very cool (in a very tropical way) I love the variety in the husk that produces the white lines

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE