DIY Archery stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I've recently moved house so have the luxury of our own at last rather than shared garden.

As there's nothing really needing done to the house (I'm getting too old and lazy for 'fixer uppers') I was looking forward to being able to indulge myself a bit...particularly the idea of an archery range in the garden so I can easily fire off a few arrows when the notion takes me. It took a bit of negotiation with my wife (the kids were all on my side though).

Until now, archery involved a long trot on food into the nearest woods lugging bows, targets, etc. I was keen to have a permanent setup.

We inherited an old plastic tool locker which was still solid but didn't have much use for as we've also got a decent size garden hut.

After lining the back and sides with 2" thick planks, some MDF, several layers of carpet, cardboard boxes (left over from the move), several inches of foam...and finally a target.

The top section will continue to be used for storing logs for the firepit but otherwise it's a case of grabbing a bow, opening the doors and off we go.

My next little job was something I'd been meaning to do for a while. Everytime I'm using my bow, I end up having to take off my ever present paracord bracelet and lob it into my pocket. My bow also has a wrist strap but it's a pain to adjust. I had a thought about combining the two...

I used a matching QR clip on the bracket that the wrist strap attached to.

Now I just take off my bracelet and clip it in. Really simple to do and saves me from carrying a separate wrist strap and from having to safely stow my bracelet without losing it.

Last edited:

scarfell

Forager
Oct 4, 2016
south east
They look interesting those bows, fun to shoot with?

My next project will be to build a laminated long bow (from kit) and then have a go making one from scratch next spring

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
It's a delight to use. Adjustable from 25-55lbs, superbly accurate (depending who is behind it)...a compact bow but with enough power.

I've also got a traditional recurve and enjoy alternating between the two. Next project will hopefully be building one myself too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE