• 51v5IElGIBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51v5IElGIBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 41zY7NoRaEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41zY7NoRaEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 8

udamiano

On a new journey
the pocket is made mainly of machined aluminium, the only plastic parts are the outer cover (in black on your picture ) this gives a much more robust filter.
THe vario is made of mainly abs plastic.
The pocket has a silver ceramic filter good for 50,000 lt (according to the link)
whereas the Vario uses three filters that need to be changed ofter 2000 lt.

I have the pocket and have used it over a number of years and can attest to the ruggedness of its construction

hope this helps

Da

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have the pocket and the mini. The flow rate on the pocket is much higher and it's easier to pump. The pocket filter is bomb proof and can be serviced in the field. The pocket filter will last a life time of typical use. The pocket filter is heavy and bulky most suited for expedition use. Which ever you decided you still need to add chemicals for virus protection or boil.

The pocket filter is a fantastic bit of engineered kit. But is it worth the cost ? I don't use either of mine. If the water looks clean use chemicals, or just boil.

Regards chris

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that using something like the Katadyn Pocket negated the need for chemical treatment or boiling.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
No virus is smaller than the filter even the ceramic filter by a factor of nearly 1000th. The ceramic filter will block bacteria only. I wish I had looked into this before splashing out on the Katadyn.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
I have to admit the more I look into the drinking water issues the more confused I have become. I think there is a lot confusion partly caused by various competing manufacturers. I think the only advantage of the filter is that bothe chemical and UV systems are more affective on clear water. I was very disappointed when I used the katadyn in the peak district where the water is brackish, the water still came out like brown tea as you cannot filter out tannins.

Regards chris

udamiano

On a new journey
where the water is brackish, the water still came out like brown tea as you cannot filter out tannins.

You can filter out tannins and compounds and heavy metals. But you need to use a fine mesh activated charcoal based filter to do this; The downside of these are that the filter itself needs to be changed fairly regular otherwise it becomes clogged up and doesn't work, so unless you are carrying loads of spare filters they become not practical for extended use. You should always boil water after filtering regardless of the method you use. as 'no' system is 100% effective and removes all contaminates. A combination of a pocket filter with an in-line charcoal filter, and boiling will remove pretty much all the problems that will effect you.

Da

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
Well you said it might as well save all the effort and just boil and save all that pumping. No you cannot filter out tannin, it can however be absorbed and neutralised by an activated carbon, but this is not a filtration process. Mesh size is irrelevent for heavy metal or tannins as its a problem caused by chemicals and not particulates. The function of the prefilter is only to stop the carbon filter from becoming blocked or coated with material that would block absorption by the active compound. Ok probably being pedantic and getting off topic. The life of these charcoal elements as you say is also questionable and they are very expensive, also not easy to predict when carbon element has expired. I think unless a survival situation I would rather choose an alternative water source.

Chris..

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
Isn't the Katadyn pocket the filter of choice for the WHO ?

There is one thing about the peaty water off the moors, it sorts out that bunged up feeling one sometimes gets with change of environment, a bit like a murky winter ale, or a pint of Bass.

Deano3

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2012
Newcastle
i too get confused about filters etc i purchased a berkey bottle the blue one, sopposedly you can get water from stream or pond etc and it will be fine to drink is that correct ?

Thanks Dean

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I have as second hand MSR Hyperflow that uses hollow fibre filtering media yet it does not take the taste of chlorine out from my bathroom tap water! The build quality however is simply astonishing.. I havn't owned anything quite as nicely made as this.. every part is solid and clicks and twists together reliably and solidly.. I would even say this is more durable than anything made from aluminium!

I also have a berkefeld gravity filter at home that has four black berkey elements that do not have any activated carbon yet are so well made that they take all the taste away and can even take food dye out, so it's not entirely true that micron size alone is not enough to take out taste!

udamiano

On a new journey
Carbon contained within a unit; The unit itself is generally known as a filter, and mesh size refers to the recognised density of carbon based on a US system, and not to an actual mesh within the filter unit. larger mesh sizes allow the liquid to pass though at higher rates but reduce the amount of adsorption that takes place

Granulated carbons are used for water treatment, deodorization and separation of components of flow system. GAC can be either in the granular form or extruded. GAC is designated by sizes such as 8×20, 20×40, or 8×30 for liquid phase applications and 4×6, 4×8 or 4×10 for vapor phase applications. A 20×40 carbon is made of particles that will pass through a U.S. Standard Mesh Size No. 20 sieve (0.84 mm) (generally specified as 85% passing) but be retained on a U.S. Standard Mesh Size No. 40 sieve (0.42 mm) (generally specified as 95% retained). AWWA (1992) B604 uses the 50-mesh sieve (0.297 mm) as the minimum GAC size. The most popular aqueous phase carbons are the 12×40 and 8×30 sizes because they have a good balance of size, surface area, and head loss characteristics.

The process than carbon uses is indeed adsorption, as you have stated I was mealy simplifying the process without having to go into complex technical descriptions.

IMG_0148.jpg
using tea as the tannin, the entire process took 3 passes to get clear water (this was the last pass pictured) using a activated charcoal and resin filter cartridge with a carbon mesh size of 8x16 (US standard)

as from manufacturers site

The filter material within the filter cartridge contains a mixture of ion exchange resins and activated carbon that has been tested to food grade quality. The ion exchange resin used reduces the carbonate hardness (limescale) and reduces metals, such as copper and lead, that can occur as a result of domestic installation. The activated carbon removes substances that may impair taste, such as chlorine and chlorine compounds (where present).

Hope this explains my original post clearer.

Da

Silverclaws

Forager
Jul 23, 2009
Plymouth, Devon
I think perhaps understanding what these materials are that are in filters and why they work is a good starting point as in activated charcoal I just looked up to find out exactly what it is and how it works and I now understand they block through their action of stopping things attracted to it's chemistry, carbon based organic materials of which chlorine is one and what things pass straight through by not being attracted to the chemistry, like sodium based and nitrates.

But then perhaps we need to understand what is likely to be found in water supplies in our respective areas of travel and how fast does that pollutant acts, is it a long term problem or does it act quickly.

I was one of the idiots that didn't know Chernobyl had blown up until weeks later as I was backpacking in the lake district, people said don't drink the rain and mentioned radiation, but perhaps they assumed everyone knew of the power station incident as myself I hadn't so did not connect radiation with rain water of which I was getting pans of overnight.

Got tested when I got home but got told if anything it was trace and not worth worrying about and so, I am still here.

Chrisf

Aug 24, 2012
South yorkshire
The katadyne inline filter does not work anywhere near as good as your example tea filter Good post. Actually it had no visible effect on the brackish peaks water.

Regards chris

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE