Diesel engine on heating oil

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
If using heating oil, use gas oil and not kerosene. i.e. 35 sec and not 28 sec, she'll purr like she should do.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
When I was stationed at RAF Fairford (1982-1889) all our diesels (government owned) were fueled with JP-8 (NATO jet fuel) No problems and no smell. That's actually why the Air Force switched to diesel engines; so on deployments P.O.L. only needs to send a single fuel.

In the 1970s when there was a petrol shortage over here the delivery trucks would steal heating oil by shorting the customer and sell the extra to the diesel stations. I expect it's probably been done in several countries.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Your be surprised what you can put in a LR. My brother used to have an old 1965 Sr2 Petrol that he run from all the old fuel siphoned off from the cars in the scrap yard he was working at. It used to smoke a bit but then again it was such a heap no one really noticed.

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
If by 'heating oil' you mean 'red diesel' then it is pretty much the same stuff as 'yellow diesel' as used on the road. Until recently, it is what every boat on the water with a diesel inboard used.

If you mean the 28sec stuff also known as kerosene, I really don't know.

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
If it's combustable, then it'll run a Landy, literally.

I ran my old 19J on veg oil for about a year before the i rebuilt the 200Tdi and dropped that in, now my 200Tdi injun runs on it upto a 100% without a hiccup ( the Bosch IP outperform the older CAV Lucas IP's found on the 19J )

If your using wvo or clean vo, remember that cold weather thickens it causing you untold problems in the winter, most, if not all, who use it, stop around this time. You can counter this with a diesel heater though if you wish.

If you have the space, then setting up a wvo processing area in your garage can cost about £350 for the initial outlay, after that you can legally collect wvo from any business ( with the correct documents ) and process your own wvo variant of diesel.

Try a search on the difflock forums for advice ;)

Home Guard

Forager
Dec 13, 2010
North Walsham, Nelson's County.
With all the alternative fuels i've read about, cold weather problems seem to be a big problem. Either thinning it down slightly with petrol apparently works. Or having duel tanks with a fuel tap and wrapping a copper fuel line around the exhaust works.

Once I've bought the landy i'll give all this lot a go.

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
My mate ran his old ford transit van on cooking oil from Makro and to give it a boost he put in some hydraulic fluid .

He ran it like that till he got stopped and had his tank dipped , on that particular day he had a half tank of red diesel !

they just took his keys of him and told him to wave goodbye to his van as the took it of to be crushed .

Craig............

Badger90

Forager
Mar 17, 2011
Devon
Dual tanks is a cheaper way of doing it, a smaller 10 litre boat tank will do and a simple switch for the feed and return ( ebay do them for under £70 ), once your engine has reached operating temp you switch from diesel to whatever else you are running, this eliminates the need for costly fuel heaters. Just be sure to switch back and purge the wvo out of the system before turning off the engine for any long periods of time.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Freind of mine ran out of home heating oil a couple times had to use it from his truck no issues with it. Reason it is dyed is for tax reasons they aren't supposed to tax you on home heating oil. Far as I know anyways.

EdS

home heating oil is taxed - at VAT rate --- but you don't pay fuel duty on it.

Main proble mwith kero adn diesel engiens is that is doesn't lubricate the pistons as much as diesel - long term this can case problems and strip piston ringas etc. Simple soluiton is to add a bit on 2 stroke oil or veg oil to provide the lubrication.

Mar 26, 2011
kent
If running heating oil i would suggest adding approximately one litre of clean mineral engine oil to a tank to keep your injector pump sufficiently lubricated. However, with cost implications if you're going to run on heating oil then you may aswell run on red diesel which contrary to popular belief is actually a better fuel than you buy at the bp garage (higher sulphur content). I ran my pickup (off the road ofcourse!) for 80,000 miles on red diesel.

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
be warned all, red diesel has been different since Jan 2011, it is now mixed with biodiesel by about 20% in an effort to reduce emmissions, it never was just road fuel with a dye in it but it used to work, now its causing havoc with modern diesel engines

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
be warned all, red diesel has been different since Jan 2011, it is now mixed with biodiesel by about 20% in an effort to reduce emmissions, it never was just road fuel with a dye in it but it used to work, now its causing havoc with modern diesel engines

To be fair, modern diesel engines seem perfectly capable of causing havoc on normal diesel.
Although common rail engines are more economic it seems like you pay for it with reduced injector life.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE